426, wheres the oil filter??

7 replies to this topic
  • NorCal426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:40 PM

i know this must seem highly nubish, but i just pruchased a '01 426 and actually havent taken the time to closely look for it but where would i find the oil filter? the previous owner said it had a scot stainless steel oil filter, do i replace this or just clean it (and how), but where do i find this at? also, what kind of motor oil is reccomended for my application. i run it anywhere from cold rainy even snow weather to baking hot sumemr up here in norcal, thanks for the help, peace

• yzfmxer

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:51 PM

The filter is behind a cover thats on the right side of the bike, in front of the clutch cover, there is a 1, allen head bolt on the bottom of the cover and 2, 8mm bolts on the top that hold it on. it has a round center with 3 little Horns ( for lack of a better word) coming off of it........ And for oil........what did the other guy allways run in it. :naughty:

• NorCal426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:54 PM

hey thanks for the help, but what do you mean it has 3 little horns coming off it? lol

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2005 - 10:07 PM

The cover has three tabs around its circumference used to bolt it down.

The Scotts filter is permanent, clean it in CLEAN, UNUSED solvent, or mineral spirits. Do not allow any solvent used to clean the outside to enter the inside except through the filter mesh. You can also use soapy water, rinse with clean, and air dry, or spray them with carb cleaner. IMO, they're the best filter you can use. It was a bonus to get it with the bike.

You need to get a service manual. Look in special interest forums for the Motoman web site. Log on and look around, you can download a copy in PDF format.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sleeman

Posted March 28, 2005 - 10:10 PM

yamaha-motor.com has an online parts catalog

• NorCal426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 10:11 PM

thankyou very much for your help, its greatly appreciated, now should i do this everytime i change the oil?

• Florida_426

Posted March 29, 2005 - 06:11 AM

NorCal,
I would clean the filter each time the oil gets changed. It only takes a few minutes and with a quality filter like the Scotts it is just insurance for a longer engine life. Definitely get a factory service manual. Motoman393's site is great for that and plenty of other details for the 426. Visit here and at his site often and you'll find most questions answered in quick fashion.

Welocme aboard,
Bill

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:02 AM

NorCal,
I would clean the filter each time the oil gets changed. It only takes a few minutes and with a quality filter like the Scotts it is just insurance for a longer engine life. Definitely get a factory service manual. Motoman393's site is great for that and plenty of other details for the 426. Visit here and at his site often and you'll find most questions answered in quick fashion.

Welocme aboard,
Bill

One other item, Make darn sure you clean the threads reall good with each cover removal / filter change. Particles get into the threads and will strip if your not carfull. A quick blast of air will do the trick or a few q tips

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.