426 tranny or chain?

3 replies to this topic
  • NorCal426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hey, i have an '01 yz426 that runs great, shifts fine (other than the hitting nutruel while shifting between 1st and 2nd, soposedly common with these bikes), and i have been curious about a noise i've been hearing. when i'm not on the gas and am sort of lugging it in whatever gear im in, i hear a slight clanking noise when i suddenly hit the throttle. i was wondering is this just the chain getting some slack off then being slapped back from when i hit the gas? or is this a serious problem i should have looked at? the sound goes away once i start going and drives fine in every gear, its just the part when im sort of lugging it then hit the gas hard. any input is greatly appreciated, thanks

• 02YZ426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 06:29 PM

Its likley the chain. My bike does that too. The noise almost went away when I put a new o-ring chain on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted March 29, 2005 - 03:45 PM

It is probably the chain slapping the guard on the top of the swingarm, if you dont hear it then your chain is too tight. When the chain is too tight, snapping sprockets, bolts etc. is a real possibility.

• brucer7

Posted March 30, 2005 - 05:13 PM

does the noise happen when you are sitting still with the motor running? I had to tighten up three nuts that worked them selves loose behind the clutch basket. A mechanic said this was common for these bikes and once I did that the noise went away...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.