Checking oil in 650L

7 replies to this topic
  • tullymars

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:02 PM

I just changed my engine oil in my 650L,later when I went to check it,no oil was touching the stick,I did it just like it says in the book,theres two quarts in there...what gives,any ideas?

• roadcam

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:06 PM

you have to start the engine, let it get to operating temp, shut it off, wait a minute or two for the oil to drain down, THEN check the dipstick, bike level, dipstick sitting on top of its threads, not screwed in .... these bikes have the oil in the frame, and engine, and the oil pump has to run a bit to equalize the oil levels , thats the way its explained in here frequently

• tullymars

Posted March 28, 2005 - 01:01 PM

you have to start the engine, let it get to operating temp, shut it off, wait a minute or two for the oil to drain down, THEN check the dipstick, bike level, dipstick sitting on top of its threads, not screwed in .... these bikes have the oil in the frame, and engine, and the oil pump has to run a bit to equalize the oil levels , thats the way its explained in here frequently

I did all that...no oil touching the stick,I understand how the dry sump system works,this is my third xr.....

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 28, 2005 - 01:28 PM

Did you put the drain plug in? Just kidding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tullymars

Posted March 28, 2005 - 01:53 PM

:naughty:

Did you put the drain plug in? Just kidding.

• justicedone

Posted March 29, 2005 - 12:09 AM

I thought it was 2 quarts if not changing the filter and more like 2.8 if changing filter and oil? Be sure to triple check before riding around.

• tullymars

Posted March 29, 2005 - 02:57 AM

I thought it was 2 quarts if not changing the filter and more like 2.8 if changing filter and oil? Be sure to triple check before riding around.

2 quarts with filter,2.4 aftre engine dssassembley...its got me stumped :naughty:

• XR Dude

Posted March 29, 2005 - 06:24 AM

I agree with you tullymars, your right on the specs and my 05 L does the same thing. I just put a note in my service manual that it requires 2.5 quarts at oil change with a filter replacement. I've done the same as you, after an oil change, rode the beast for an hour or so came back, no oil on the dipstick. Added half a quart all is fine. Same thing next oil change, had to add half a quart. Maybe we've got the higher oil capacity models? Just kidding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.