Who did your free mods?

22 replies to this topic
  • SkyRaider

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:59 AM

I see a lot of folks posting here with new bikes who need to do the free mods. My dealer did mine for me at no charge. Basically, they acted like it was just part of the regular initial set-up. They did the throttle stop, gray wire, muffler insert, and baffle. I did the JD kit later.

Did any of you have the same experience, or do your dealers just make you take the bike as is? With everyone knowing that the bike runs poorly bone stock, you would think this would be almost required basic service from all dealers.

• scothran

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:08 AM

When I bought my 05 WR450 the guy who was getting my bike ready came and told me about the free mods. He said he would do it free of charge. I ended up waiting a few weeks then did them myself.

The free mods made it a totally different machine.

By the way is the JD Kit worth it?

• Texas4play

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:11 AM

The dealer did the throttle stop for free. Everything else I did myself.

And yes, the JD kit is worth it, IMO.

• SkyRaider

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:14 AM

If you have an '05 and you do the free mods, it's not only worth it, it's almost necessary. From what I understand, the '05 really runs lean compared to prior year models - especially after you do the mods. It starts and runs much, much better.

• clark4131

Posted March 28, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Mine came in the same crate that it was shipped in from Japan. I had to do the mods myself, along with mounting the front wheel, handlebars, controls, etc. But then again, I saved more than $600 compared with any dealer within 500 miles of my location :naughty: ...SC

• Gadsen

Posted March 28, 2005 - 11:09 AM

I missed out on all the free mods :D I bought mine new out of Canada, and it came with the YZ throttle stop, no grey wire, no air box baffle. I was short changed! :naughty: :naughty:

• bottomfeeder2

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:11 PM

Mine came with the throttle stop mod. They told me while we were loading it on my truck that they had done it already. I'm glad they did; I didn't even know what it was at the time.

• rockieman

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:13 PM

When I bought mine (back in '99) they basically jetted it (for Colorado) and that was it. I did everything else myself. At the time I thought it was ridiculous that they would not do the throttle stop.....ridiculous that Yamaha did the throttle stop in the first place.
List of free mods I did.....
Throttle stop
Baffle
Gray wire
BK Mod (accelerator pump timing)
JD mod (Power Now)
De-octopus (something us early owners are familiar with)

• Dwood11

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:37 PM

The only real reason that stupid throttle stop is on there in the first place is California. There is this little sticker that you get from the state either green<--- my favorite, or red<---i hate that stupid red sticker. This state is crazy when it comes to the protecting our environment, so they came up with the stupid green, and red stickers that limit you to ride in certain areas depending on what time of year it is. In order to get a green sticker, the one that lets you ride without limits they had to tone down the noise that these bikes put out. Thus you have the throttle stop. That is the only reason its on our bikes. They basically cork them all up for one stupid state.

99 WR 400F
Throttle Stop
Grey Wire
Header/White Bros Exaust
Re-Jet
Bars ect, ect...

• eruption

Posted March 28, 2005 - 01:16 PM

I did all the mods myself and If I could have took the crate home and built the bike myself I would have been better off. I go over any new bike or quad with a fine tooth comb and usually have it half apart the same day because something was put together wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • farkawi

Posted March 28, 2005 - 03:31 PM

I too got mine in the crate. I could've paid a few hundred more for it and gotten the bike setup and jetted but it was worth it to me just to become familiar with the machine.

• shawnwt

Posted March 28, 2005 - 05:04 PM

I picked up my 05 wr450 in early Dec. When the mechanic was going over the bike with me he told me how to do the mods or I could pay him one hour labor
to do it .He said the work order would be listed as service work not the mod work, something about not getting the dealership in trouble with Ca. Maybe
this is why the dealers are hesitant to do the mods.I see you live in Texas I thought Ca. Was the only State that plugged the bikes up. :naughty:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:28 PM

Boy dont I feel like a real dipshizit. I paid $170.00 bucks to have mine done. I didnt know anything about anything when I bought my bike. I wish I would have known of TT back then, you guys could have saved me 170 fun tokens. Oh well , live and learn. I will know way more on the next go round.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted March 29, 2005 - 08:12 AM

All the WRF's that our guys set-up (pre-deliver) at work, leave the warehouse with all the restrictions still in place. This is only because WRF's are road legal over here, and de-restricting the bikes would be illegal if the customer registered his new bike for the street. I believe the stores give the customer the option though, once the sale is made.....

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 29, 2005 - 08:26 AM

My dealer pulled the airbox lid, pulled the grey wire, jetted the bike, cut the throttle stop and poked a hole in the bottom of the carb for the fuel screw. Basically, I just had to pull the AIS off and jet it better. I was surprised that they didn't pull the cork out of the exhaust. My dealer really took care of me, it was all included, full of gas and a strong battery.

• shawnwt

Posted March 29, 2005 - 09:24 AM

what was the dealers name, sounds like i need to find a new place to buy my toys. I live in the so. Bay area

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 29, 2005 - 09:34 AM

Simi Valley Cycles (SoCal) 805-522-3434 Dave Flemming

• 2old4school

Posted March 30, 2005 - 09:10 PM

I had no idea about the mods when I purchased. Stumbled onto TT and Texas4play turned me on to the mods. I had them ALL done for 20 bucks! When I rode it the first time after the mods, I couldn't believe it was the same bike! Now I'm looking forward to performing the regular maintenance on my own. I don't know JACK about mechanics, so it should be interesting.

• dustdogg

Posted March 30, 2005 - 09:35 PM

I did all of the mods myself :D . Hell, my dealer couldn't even get my bike started :naughty: . They flooded it, while I was watching them :D ( I already knew the drill ) then tried to change the plug with no luck. With a disgusted look on my face, they decided to give me a different bike :naughty: . With that said I am glad I did the mods myself :D

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 30, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Sounds like my Honda dealer. I am glad they were a bunch of dipshizits or I may have bought one. Couldnt have worked out any better. :naughty:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.