brake fluid missing

2 replies to this topic
  • freekstyle

Posted March 27, 2005 - 08:27 PM

I was riding my 03 yz450 and I noticed the front brake feeling odd. It would stick and then pull far back. I checked the fluid level and discovered that its way low, and I mean way low like not even there. I dont even know how it was working, compressed air brakes? Anyway, I ckecked everthing I dont see a leak, I looked at the line, calipers, everything I see no leak. Ill top it off and bleed it and check it again, it just seems strange. Does anyone know of common leak points on this bike that I should know about, or good methods of tracking the leak down? thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flash183

Posted March 28, 2005 - 03:09 PM

There is a small bleeder screw (aka bleeder valve) on the caliper assembly. Make sure it is not loose or I suppose it could let air in.

The description you provided is air in the brake line. You will also need to get the air out. Same thing happend to me. I had to disconnect the high end and pump brake oil in until it pushed all the air out and came out the top. But now the brakes work great!

• PK

Posted March 28, 2005 - 06:57 PM

If your brake pads get worn down to the point of replacement this would make the piston in the caliper have to extend further out to work and this would take more fluid from the reservoir. You may not have a leak at all, your brake pads are shot and you started with a low amount of brake fluid in the reservoir. Something else to consider...

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.