450 Cam mod?????

10 replies to this topic
  • yamarider426

Posted March 27, 2005 - 04:36 PM

:naughty: OK guys I'm getting extreamly confused :naughty:
I just got a 00 426 and everybody keeps saying I need to do the 450 cam mod. I ride alot and I try to kill it everytime I ride. I love the talk about being able to take the decomp lever off, bump starting, and having a more user-friendly bike. I ride alot of tight trails and it is agrivating :D to stall it out in a tight squeeze, although I have become very comfortable with re-starts. I ride mx tracks sometimes also along with some long, high RPM dirt roads where I live (you know to blow-off steam after a long day at work). I will take yalls (southern talk for you all) advice and deffinatly go with the clutch mode 2001 and the carb mod (GBMmod) but I dont have the money to install 450 cams and blow my bike to smitherines. Thats why I have a 426 and not a brand new 450. Help me out here...Is it worth it, and were can I get the cams and all of the parts i need to do it. I also need the clutch mod parts and prob valve shims (I dont think my valves have ever been adj.) if anyone has any extras or can help in any way.
BTW this web site is absolutly unreal with all the knowledge here :D ...you guys are great :D and I thank you in advance for the help.

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2005 - 09:32 PM

If you're OK starting it, you don't really have to do the decomp cam mod. It does simplify things, though.

Here's a link about the '01 clutch parts:
http://www.thumperta...ead.php?t=83453

• Chills

Posted March 28, 2005 - 07:59 AM

3 words for yah...

Get er done!!!!

• Satch0922

Posted March 28, 2005 - 10:11 AM

for $100 and about 1hr of your time...it's crazy not to do it.

• thumperslider54

Posted March 28, 2005 - 10:13 AM

The cam mod helps with cranking but it has other advantages too.Before the cam mod if I used too much rear brake and killed the engine the rear wheel would just slide,sometimes causing A crash.After the cam mod if I killed the engine the auto decomp would kick in because the engine is not spinning and the bike will start right back up.Do the mod.You'll be glad you did. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:20 PM

Both the 450 cam mod and the 01 clutch update are well worth it for your bike. I've done both to my 00 and couldn't be happier. If you need any help with either, just let me know!

• 642MX

Posted March 28, 2005 - 02:19 PM

The 450 cam mod is worth the money. I wished I'd done it sooner, its almost fun to start my bike now. Kudos to the pioneers of this mod.

• yamarider426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 04:47 PM

Thanks alot guys for the input ....keep it comming!
Now all I need are the parts.
Do I just buy the stock 450 cams and install them or what?
If so does anyone know where to get em?

• redright

Posted March 28, 2005 - 05:12 PM

Yes, Just do the stock 450 cam. From what I've read here the benefit you get from the aftermarket cam can only be really noticable if you do both intake and exhaust cams. I got my cam at North County Yamaha in San Diego (www.ncyamaha.com) for $95. They should also have the decomp plug. In your factory manual there is a matrix chart that tells you what shim you will need once you have taken your measurement after the new cam is installed. The shims are fairly cheap approx $5 each. I just bought a few sizes 185 190 195 200 205 and then returned the ones I didn't use. Make sure they will let you return them. This way I was able to finish the job the same day. pm me if you need more info.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2005 - 05:15 PM

Do I just buy the stock 450 cams and install them or what?

You only need the exhaust cam.

• Fastest1

Posted March 29, 2005 - 03:55 PM

If you spend alot of time in the trails, after the cam change try the Rekluse auto clutch. Then you can ditch the decomp lever and the clutch lever. It works well on the track too!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.