Set up for a heavy rider?

7 replies to this topic
  • Shorte01

Posted March 27, 2005 - 03:24 PM

Just started riding within the last year and I'm on a 04 YZ450. Haven't done much at all to really test the suspension, just some trails, no air much at all. However last weekend I spent a great deal time of some trails with some pretty decent whoops and I started getting off the ground just a bit and I'm looking at making the right adjustments and having the right spring for the job. The problem is that I just finished a college football career as an offensive lineman and while I'm dropping the pounds, I'm still around 265-270. Now I'm not looking to be flying through the air all that much, so hard landings aren't much of an issue. I just haven't done much in the suspension department and figured I would check and see if anyone had any insight. Any tips are welcome. Thanks.

• adrian

Posted March 27, 2005 - 03:37 PM

You need a 6.4kg on the rear and .52s on the front,you will need them regardless of a revalve so I would try them first and if you feel they need some revalving you can get that afterwards..I know the spring rates are correct cause I am the same weight

Cheers

• DoctorRzed

Posted March 27, 2005 - 04:13 PM

I play football and weigh in at 220lbs. I have .49s and a 5.8 rear

• bigroj

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:05 PM

Hey guys, I'm a big one too 250-260lbs...can you break down your explanation a bit more for a guy that is new to all of this?

What does 49s and 5.8 rear mean, specifically?

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:33 PM

Hey guys, I'm a big one too 250-260lbs...can you break down your explanation a bit more for a guy that is new to all of this?

What does 49s and 5.8 rear mean, specifically?

Thanks.

It is the spring rate. The stiffness of the springs. The .49 would be the forks and the 5.8 would be the shock. I'm looking into getting my suspension redone also if anybody knows where to send it.

• bigroj

Posted March 29, 2005 - 08:39 AM

How would one go about changing the spring rate on the forks?

• big t

Posted March 29, 2005 - 05:06 PM

Order new springs and change them out. I just emailed Jeff Howe at Trakcontrol Dynamics. I have read good thing about him and I am going to pull my bike apart this weekend and send the shock and forks to him.

• Big Tuna

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:16 PM

setting your bike up for your weight is the best upgrade dollar for dollar.you wont believe the difference in handling

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.