help, dead spot getting worse

2 replies to this topic
  • dwby2kwr

Posted October 29, 2000 - 05:01 PM

i got my wr back in the spring and i have read this site every week ever since. the help from you guys have provided is invaluble. now i am having a problem with the hesitation from idle. i know i have read about this but can not remember where it was at or what to do. :)

during the summer the hesitation was not bad good us of the clutch, or just not getting that low in the RPMs prevented any problems.

now with the cooler weather it has gotten much worse. common sense and my two stroke buddies would tell me that it is too lean since the air is thicker. however when i stalled the bike i had to use the hot start button to get it going again. i am a real rookie at jetting so any help would be greatly appreciated. i also read about a smaller cap for the accelerator pump would this be the answer?

here is the important info: i ride at about 5000 ft elevation, pj is 45, needle is ekr on third clip, mj is 180, stock exhaust with baffle removed, air box lid removed. i am happy with the way the bike runs except for the stalling.

y2k wr, 13 tooth front,
airbox lid and baffle removed, 180 main, 45 pilot, 426yz er needle,
wr timing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted October 29, 2000 - 08:55 PM

Try turning the pilot screw out 1/4 turn and increase the idle slightly.

The stock 426 setting is clip #4 which may be a better solution, but the pilot screw is a quicker fix.

Not sure if the hot start problem makes sense for the temperature change.

This does not relate to your problem - the main jet sounds too big for the EKR needle. A 162-172 is more likely an appropriate size.

• dwby2kwr

Posted November 01, 2000 - 05:49 PM

thanks for the advice James. I went with the ekr needle after reading your post couple months ago and loved it. i tried smaller main jets but the bike seemed to have no pull above 3/4 throttle. i have no problem pulling rpms now. i know my setup sounds too big on the main but i have not had any problems with it. i will try moving the needle up one and play with the fuel screw this weekend and see how it does.

y2k wr, 13 tooth front,
airbox lid and baffle removed, 180 main, 45 pilot, 426yz er needle,
wr timing

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.