426, change it?

12 replies to this topic
  • NorCal426

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:21 PM

Hey, i have a 2001 426 and was wondering what are some pros and cons of getting a new auto decompressing cam. is it worth it? i have the starting thing down but its still not a kick and go bike. also i was wondering should i change the graphics? what are some good graphics available for my bike? please let me know if theres anything else that i should do to my bike, and input is greatly appreciated,

Posted Image
Kevin

• 02YZ426

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:24 PM

Your right leg will thank you if you do the cam mod. :)

• NorCal426

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:25 PM

its not so much that i can start it really easily its just that i styill need to do a quick little trick with the compression release

• adrian

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:36 PM

No Cons, lots of pros!! Easy mod to do!!Starts like a 2 stroke now.. I'd go with the stock 02 YZ graphics,or get the motoxxx graphics/seat cover kit

• adrian

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:41 PM

Here I like this bike...
Posted Image

• Slowmotion426

Posted March 27, 2005 - 04:18 AM

Nice. I dig the blue rims. Makes my '01 look like crap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted March 27, 2005 - 06:45 AM

there are no cons to doing the cam mod. The bike starts easier (no drill), the bike is more forgiving to ride and less likely to stall, the power delivery is SWEET.....comes on smooth and pulls forever. Do it and I promise you will think you just bought a new bike! :)

• racer8

Posted March 27, 2005 - 10:00 AM

I did the 450 cam mod.
Best $$$ spent.
Nice power,ez start, ez to do!
The members on this forum will help you out.

• Vetmxrider

Posted March 27, 2005 - 01:06 PM

If you like your bike now, You will love your bike after you change the exhaust cam! I don't know of any "cons" when it comes to doing this mod. I just did the cam swap to my 02 YZ426 a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with the results. Don't wait, it's not a hard job to do. There's a ton of support on this site that would be happy to help you get the job done. :naughty:
Ed

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2005 - 03:15 PM

Pros:
You can kick it like a 250 two stroke.
You can bump it like a 250 two stroke.
You still have to work the throttle and hot start, etc., by the same rules, but you can forget the compression release.
You can restart after stomping out the engine with the rear brake with a flick of the clutch or less, and without stopping.
Your life will be simpler.
You don't have to remove the decomp shaft to adjust the right exhaust valve if it isn't there.

Cons:

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:37 AM

i had the starting drill down really good and my bike was really easy to start before. it was always 1 or 2 kicks no matter what. now it's just kicking it. no routine or anything. power difference was nice.you will really like it.

• slowrider

Posted March 28, 2005 - 11:27 AM

I have an 00 and 02 426 I can start the 00 without any problems what so ever do the drill first kick maybe second every single time. I put the mod in the 02 and it went from starting relatively easy to now it seems like i kick it and kick it it will start and runs awesome but for whatever reason it seems harder to start. now bump starting it is nice went riding stalled it down hill let out the clutch fired right up. If i could get this glitch out of my 02 i'd be a happy camper.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 12:17 PM

The 450 cam mod is definitely the best bang for the buck on the 426 hands down. Do it, you won't be sorry!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.