pilot jet

2 replies to this topic
  • mdek

Posted October 29, 2000 - 11:19 AM

after putting on a fmf pipe and changing the jetting per fmf to a 168 main jet (from a 165) and turning the air screw to 2 3/4 turns out I thought that the bike ran pretty well but I heard a sort of chirping sound around 1/4 throttle. In another post someone talked about a chirping sound which apparently meant a lean pilot circuit. So I changed the pilot jet from the 42 to a 45 and turned the air screw to 1 1/2 turns out. The bike seemed to run well but it would stall when braking really hard with the clutch pulled in. I turned the air screw to 2 turns out and the bike still stalled and became a pain to start but once going it ran well. It seems to me I need to go back to the 42 pilot jet. Is the stalling caused by a too rich pilot jet or is it maybe something else?

by the way my bike is a 2000 WR

Thanks

Mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted October 30, 2000 - 08:27 AM

You should try setting the idle a little faster with the #45. You don't need to go back to the #42. The pilot screw is a fuel screw, not an air screw, out is richer/ more fuel. #45 pilot and 2-3 turns is what was working for me when I was trying the stock DRS needle.

Was the chirping an exhaust leak or carb noise? Recheck the connections and make sure the header is fitting squarely on the cylinder head.

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 30, 2000 - 03:15 PM

I did have a chirping sound from the front wheel bearing from the total lack of grease.

Probably totally unrelated, but it was hard to tell the source of that sound, I kept on thinking it was from the radiator.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.