melting radiator hoses

11 replies to this topic
  • BrianBills

Posted March 26, 2005 - 01:07 PM

I have an after market white brothers pipe and header on my yz 400. I am having a problem with the header burning the 3 inch piece of radiator hose that goes up to the radiators from the water pump. It has done this on two seperate occations and really caused me some grief.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can shield this, or replace it with something that is a little more heat resistant? It has a gap of about 3mm from the header. In the recent transworld MX mag, I saw ivan tedesco's kawi and it had some radiator hoses that were a blue color. Could these be a type of high temp hoses that I could obtain? If so from where?

Thanks,
Brian Bills

• yzfmxer

Posted March 26, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Try loosining the header form the head and turn the header up alittle, it puts the header in the dip of the hose more.

You can also buy heat resistant covers for hoses at your auto parts store, There like a cloth material, thats a tube in shape, you would have to remove the hose and slide the cover over the hose and reinstall.

• CRFThumper

Posted March 26, 2005 - 02:34 PM

Is yours still the stock one?If not the stock one is a double layer type hose,we have not had any problems with ours.Try tilting the header up a little like talked about above.

• mnovarossi

Posted March 26, 2005 - 02:58 PM

Go to an auto parts store that sells performance parts, like A&A or your local speed shop and tell them what your problem is. They can hook you up with a heat resistant sleeve to put over your rubber hose to protect it. It cost me $35 for 3 feet but it works. Mine is silver but Iv also seen blue and orange.

• mayday

Posted March 26, 2005 - 08:46 PM

you could try wraping your header with header wrap. My Dr.D header was burning my rideing pants until I wraped it. Had no troubles since jus my 2 cents! :)

• ncmountainman

Posted March 27, 2005 - 07:16 AM

you could try wraping your header with header wrap. My Dr.D header was burning my rideing pants until I wraped it. Had no troubles since jus my 2 cents! :)

was there any changes in jetting or performance when you wrapped it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • notuagn

Posted April 20, 2005 - 12:29 PM

I have looked at my local auto parts store and the internet for these heat resistant sleeves but I have not found any yet. Is there a place on the internet that sells them?

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2005 - 12:58 PM

Two more things:

There are high temperature hoses available. You would most likely find them at an automotive speed shop. They're usually green or red or some other color than black, but don't go by the color. Chevrolet did all the plumbing in the Special Police Caprices with the stuff.

You can make a fairly good heat shield out of a coil spring just by sliding it over the hose. It just has to be big enough to let the hose fit over the nipples it clamps to.

• yamahauler44

Posted April 20, 2005 - 01:08 PM

try tiltin the header up

• jdyz426f

Posted April 20, 2005 - 08:47 PM

i always thought my hose was going to melt too, but it hasnt yet, and its the stock hose. That pipe gets so hot its outa this world.

• lumpy790

Posted April 21, 2005 - 06:31 AM

Posted Image

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted April 21, 2005 - 06:55 AM

here's what the pipes looked like wrapped with the header wrap. It also helps keep the carb and shock resevoir cooler too.
http://www.forumpict...es/IMG_0027.jpg

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.