92 XR600R-how to measure cam chain wear

2 replies to this topic
  • michaelschorpp

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:24 PM

I'm doing a top-end job (its first) on my 92 XR600R. I've torn it down and sent the cylinder and cylinder head out for reconditioning. I went to look up how to measure the cam chain wear and the Haynes manual procedure was to do the measurement while the cam chain was fully installed. It's a bit late for that now. Is there any other way of measuring wear? eg measuring the length of a specific number of links?

Mike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted March 26, 2005 - 12:04 AM

I would change it. There not that expensive.

• JetPilot

Posted March 26, 2005 - 12:40 PM

Change dat sucker !!! That is a part that wears alot... Even if its in limits now, you dont want it wearing out soon after your rebuild :) . Its very expensive if it ever breaks :D . Since you have already done the work to get it out (the hardest part), it would be foolish not to change it. Its not that expensive :p .

You can get new genuine Honda parts very cheaply at Service Honda, they are great :) !!!! I ordered over 100 parts from them on my rebuild and they got every last one right, and did i say CHEAP :D

http://www.servicehonda.com/

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.