Oil change intervule for non racer??

18 replies to this topic
  • 150 Fuelie

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:01 PM

I see that Yamaha recommends changing the oil every race, but what about for us non racers? Also, what brand and weight do you guys recommend? I'm a big synthetic fan and run amsoil in all my engines. amsoil makes a bike oil in both 10w-40 and 20w-50.

• FOX426

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:14 PM

There are hundreds of threads on this. The avg. for non racers or high revers seems to be about 12 to 15 hours.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:23 PM

Thanks, for me that's about once a year.

• mayday

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:23 PM

every 3 rides and I use bel ray THUMPER earl!!!!! :)

• rebel1916

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:56 PM

every 3 rides and I use bel ray THUMPER earl!!!!! :)

haha. i have never heard a south dakotan refer to it as earl.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:17 PM

Why so often, Is the engine that hard on the oil? With the quality of oils these days I don't understand. Today's oils don't break down like just a few years ago. Contamination on the other hand is another story.

• Wyatt

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:28 PM

I use Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle specific full synthetic and I change at about 10hrs each time. Sometimes a little less...sometimes more. I have an hour meter on my bike and that adds up to about 3 good trips to the track.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:39 PM

Filter every time Wyatt?

• big t

Posted March 25, 2005 - 09:38 PM

I do mine after 3 rides. I use Yamalube 4 and bought a stainless steel filter. I clean the filter every oil change. Paid $40 for the ss filter but the oem filters were $13. The ss filter doesn't take long to pay for itself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426_Texan

Posted March 25, 2005 - 09:46 PM

Why so often, Is the engine that hard on the oil? With the quality of oils these days I don't understand. Today's oils don't break down like just a few years ago. Contamination on the other hand is another story.

It's not a matter of the oil breaking down. It needs to be changed often because of contaminates from the clutches.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted March 26, 2005 - 05:18 PM

It's not a matter of the oil breaking down. It needs to be changed often because of contaminates from the clutches.

Does the filter media catch the contaminents?

• Satch0922

Posted March 26, 2005 - 05:30 PM

No. And for the most part all the filter does catch are chunks of metal etc.

I never had an hour meter on my 426 but have one now on my YZ250. Let me tell you...10-15 hours on one oil change on these thumpers is pushing it. REAL ride time for me averages less than and hour and a half each time at the track. I used to changed the oil in my 426 every other ride/race and change the filter every other oil change. So based on my hour meter your talking 3 hours of ride time. Doesn't sound like much but everytime I changed the oil it was nasty and ready to come out.

BTW....my 426 worked flawlessly and never had any cam/valve or tranny problems. I had it for almost 3 years.

• mayday

Posted March 26, 2005 - 08:57 PM

rebel I grewd up in Alabama and I am sation in SD unfortunately. Because I am freezin my family jewels off! :) No sh8t,my luck the AF sent to Siberia!! :)

• Wyatt

Posted March 27, 2005 - 08:27 AM

I have the Scott's stainless filter and I clean it with every change.

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 27, 2005 - 03:50 PM

From the clutch and other areas. But Texan is correct; you change it often because it's contaminated, not because it's broken down. Very important to change frequently.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted March 28, 2005 - 06:28 AM

I probably average about 3 hrs on an oil change unless I'm out for an entire weekend.
That may seem a bit extreme to some, but the cost of oil is cheap relative to the cost of a major rebuild.

• Jeremiah

Posted March 28, 2005 - 06:35 AM

Oil changes are important, but make sure you clean your airfilter after each ride!

• Ga426owner

Posted March 28, 2005 - 06:45 AM

On my 450, I change oil after every race and/or every 3 rides for practice - avg 3-4.5 hrs.
Standard paper filters replace every other ride or complete clean of my SS Scotts filter each oil change.
426 brass filters I would clean and reuse multiple times -
Oil is up to you - I stocked up on Mobile 1 red cap 15 -50..........

• simimi

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:38 PM

I had been using a synthetic blend, but switched to the AmsOil 10-40 and noticed a bit smoother clutch feel when it engaged. no slipping. I change it every few rides, when I have time. Maybe 2 rides, maybe 4.

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.