XR600R or XR650R?

6 replies to this topic
  • Britnewbie

Posted March 25, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hi guys looking for a XR at the minute was wondering what the differences (apart from the obvious 50cc) between the air-cooled 600 and the water cooled later 650 Got the chance of a 2000 XR600 for a good price. Any advantages/disadvantages. New to these bikes so would greatly apprieciate the input. Cheers Steve :)

• DualSport650

Posted March 25, 2005 - 12:53 PM

Well, I just sold an XR600 that I owned/rode for 7 years. The bike was awesome and I had a blast riding it, but I finally had to upgrade to the XR650R. Here are the improvements that I've noticed with the XR650R...

* More torque
* More power
* Easy to pull clutch lever :)
* Looks way cooler
* Stiffer/better frame (my XR600 frame flexed and finally cracked)
* Handles better / feels lighter
* Does better wheelies! :)

I'm diggin' the XR650R...

• slowxr

Posted March 25, 2005 - 01:33 PM

I had an xr600 and upgraded to the 650R. I'm a novice trail rider and didn't really need the 650. I just wanted one. I can't tell a difference in power or handling. I switched bikes with my friend on his 600 and his bike feels similar. I don't think my 650 is more powerful or has superior handling to the 600. Keep in mind that I'm a novice and don't push my bike that hard.
I used to see guys on 650's when I was riding and say to myself,"I really want one of those". So I got one.
I REALLY love the way the bike looks in the desert and cleaned up in my garage. That's worth alot to me! And no regrets buying the 650. I really love it. After 4000 miles, I finally took it to Barnums to have the suspension done. I'm picking it up in the morning. I can't wait!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted March 25, 2005 - 01:43 PM

I had an xr600 and upgraded to the 650R. I'm a novice trail rider and didn't really need the 650. I just wanted one. I can't tell a difference in power or handling. I switched bikes with my friend on his 600 and his bike feels similar. I don't think my 650 is more powerful or has superior handling to the 600. Keep in mind that I'm a novice and don't push my bike that hard.
I used to see guys on 650's when I was riding and say to myself,"I really want one of those". So I got one.
I REALLY love the way the bike looks in the desert and cleaned up in my garage. That's worth alot to me! And no regrets buying the 650. I really love it. After 4000 miles, I finally took it to Barnums to have the suspension done. I'm picking it up in the morning. I can't wait!

There is no way in this world that even a novice rider would not be able to feel the difference in power between and XR600 and a uncorked XR650R. Before I uncorked mine I would have to agree that I didn't notice much difference between it and my XR600 which I traded in on the XR650R. But after I uncorked the XR650, it was night and day difference.
:)

Either your bike is not uncorked or there is something wrong with it. Or your XR600 was not stock and had a big bore kit and cam in it.

• miguelitro

Posted March 25, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Either way you will be happy. the 600 has a few less things to worry about like the radiators and I've never had overheating probs with my 600.
if you are starting out i'd say the 600 will make you smile fora long time.
Heck i've even been racng mine pretty succesfully in the dez.
Now i'm getting a 650r just cuz its a good deal and my old 600 is worn.

All i'm saying is look at the prices and decide what you really want to spend cuz about the only noticable difference is the $.
Good luck tell us what ya get
Mike

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 25, 2005 - 02:24 PM

I just 'upgraded' from a 92 600R to an '00 650R too. After just a few months on the 650 I like it better, especially the power, but it's not all roses. If I had the decision to make over again, I'd still go for the 650.

• Britnewbie

Posted March 25, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the input, really helpful. Bikes over here seem to be a lot more expensive than you guys are paying. Most of the XR's Ive seen advertised are early models, '90- 92' and these are going for £1700 to £2000 and are well used. Been lucky to find a 2000 XR650R for £2000. Gonna look at it tommorrow am. This probably doesn't affect you all with your good all year weather. But we brits as you probably know have a 'bike season' mostly governed by the god awful weather we are blessed with. Thats one of the reasons why I decided to switch to trail bikes, as when I had my last bike, a gleaming, peachy Suzuki TL100R, I spent as much time cleaning it as I did riding it! I shouldv'e started looking for one in the winter months, when all the fair weather bikers take to four wheels. Sorry, too much writing. Ill let you know how I get on, as, if I get it youll hear a lot more from me in the quest for info. :) Cheers all, Steve (waiting for the sun to start!) oh yeah, anything I should look out for on a 2000 XR650 when buying one? and how do you 'uncork' one? :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.