2 replies to this topic
  • Rich_Clarke

Posted October 28, 2000 - 11:43 PM

Just wanting to see if any of you have
ridden a YZ 426 and your impressions
on it.

with a few mods would it be as good a
trail/enduro race bike as my 99 WR400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 29, 2000 - 08:44 AM

Rich, I have a friend who rides an YZ426, I have ridden it a few times, the bike is really fast!!! The only thing that my friend doesnt like about the bike is that it goes through the gears real fast. I feel that the tranny on my WR400 is much better for off-road riding, The YZ426 is a great track bike though. I have ordered my WR426 already and cant wait to ride it. See ya, Dan

• Steve_Morgan

Posted October 30, 2000 - 04:42 PM

I agree with Dan, it's a great track bike. I spent a day in the desert on a pre-production YZ 426 last month, basically trying to ride around on our normal dual-sport loops. The bike was insanely fast, and just begs to be ridden that way. Part-throttle cruising is virtually impossible, it's either WOT or coasting, with very little engine braking. The powerband absolutely forces you to race it agressively, which by the way wore me out in 20 minutes :) Of course, nobody could catch me either :D Whoops? Just gas it and skim over the tops, really amazing. My buddies on WR's and XR's were also worn out after 20-30 minutes on the bike. It's got a nice feel on the new oversized front brake rotor, and very stiff suspension, so no sitting allowed (I'm 150 lbs). Very close ratio gearing, 1st is tall, and 5th is not tall enough for the street. No downshifting needed on dirt roads, just crack the throttle a bit and let the spinning rear wheel catch you back up to speed...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.