Clutch Safety Switch

5 replies to this topic
  • Spokes

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:54 AM

I've get a 03 WR450 with a Revloc Clutch and a Rekluse left hand brake kit. When I installed the left brake kit with the clutch override, I removed the stock clutch lever with the clutch safety switch. Now, I have to find neutral to start the bike. Not a big issue, but it is possible that it could cost time in race.

I read about pulling the blue wire, but it wasn't clear that would disable the clutch safety switch.

What about cross wiring the wire going to the clutch? Will that make the bike think the clutch is pulled in all the time?

Any thoughts.

Thanks,

Bob

• Jackazz

Posted March 25, 2005 - 09:17 AM

In most cases, the clutch safety switch can be defeated by unpluging it & "shorting" the two terminals in the plug. you can test it with a piece of wire & make sure it works. Then if everything goes the way you want, you can either clip the connecter & crinp the wires together, or use whatever method you like for shorthing the plug terminals so that it can be reused with the safety switch later. :)

p.s. Don't forget to waterproof the connection when you're done.

• RichBaker

Posted March 25, 2005 - 02:48 PM

In most cases, the clutch safety switch can be defeated by unpluging it & "shorting" the two terminals in the plug. you can test it with a piece of wire & make sure it works. Then if everything goes the way you want, you can either clip the connecter & crinp the wires together, or use whatever method you like for shorthing the plug terminals so that it can be reused with the safety switch later. :)

p.s. Don't forget to waterproof the connection when you're done.

Nope....shorting the 2 pins will make your bike think it still has the switch and the clutch lever is out(not in). I have a Rekluse sans clutch lever/switch, and it will start in gear. I made a jumper I use as a security device when riding around town. With the jumper in place, it will not start in gear, I have to put it in neutral.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:40 PM

when the lever is pulled in the little pin in the switch extends, bike can be started. remove the lever blade and push the switch out of the lever bracket (towards the blade). plug it back in and secure it with all the other wires behind the head light. the bike "thinks" you have the clutch lever pulled in and will start when needed.

• Gadsen

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:51 PM

Connect the 2 wires that used to go to the switch together. Then it should start all the time.

• Spokes

Posted March 26, 2005 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to see what everyone thought before I started ripping things up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.