xr600r no spark

15 replies to this topic
  • xrracerr

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:47 AM

hi my 1987 xr600r is not starting and it has no spark befor when i kick the bike the lights go on but know nothing goes on a had this problem bofor i checked the wiring took the stator off put it back on and spark cam back know i cheked all wires they look good but i dont know how they work any body have any idea :)

• xrracerr

Posted March 25, 2005 - 01:11 PM

i just checked the wires from the stator are ok and all the rest seem fine can any body tell me what do i check next and how anything helps

• StevePSD

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Bad stator, almost 100% guaranteed.

Read my post in the following thread on how to troubleshoot this common issue:

http://www.thumperta...35&parentpage=2

If the stator resistance is out of spec then the stator will need to be replaced. It is very common on these older bikes, as the stator runs in the hot engine oil, unlike the newer bikes.

Hope this helps.

• don87xr600

Posted March 25, 2005 - 09:28 PM

The ignition and lights are run by different parts of the stator. It could still be bad with the lights coming on.

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 25, 2005 - 09:31 PM

My brothers xr400 stator just went bad.. and the resistance was ok on the ignition windings (89 ohms). I pulled the cover and found that the pulse generators mount had BROKEN/MELTED and it was flopping around loose, hanging on by its wires!! :)

I almost didn't pull the cover thinking I wouldn't be able to tell if the stator was bad just by looking at it.. glad I did. $150 to Ricky Stator later, and all's well. and a brighter headlight to boot.

• xrracerr

Posted March 29, 2005 - 04:21 PM

ok i cheaked the stator ignition it shows good and cheanged the light bulbs they go on now but no spark should i look for cdi box

• LaneMM

Posted March 29, 2005 - 05:15 PM

It is not uncommon to have a 'good' resistance spec but have no output. I rarely do a resistance check and just go right to peak output. If the stator's okay, check the ignition coil, if the coil's okay then replace the CDI.

• xrracerr

Posted March 29, 2005 - 05:19 PM

how do i cheak the output if the lights go on when i kick the bike is output good then

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StevePSD

Posted March 29, 2005 - 06:46 PM

The stator has two seperate circuits.....the ignition stator coils and the lighting stator coils. They are NOT inner-connected. When my ignition stator coils went out, the lighting coils were still functional. However they are both physically mounted to the stator, so they are replaced as a set.

Just because you are getting some voltage for the lights, means absolutely nothing regarding if you are getting any output from the igintion stator coils.

Double check the resistance from the Black/Red wire to ground - you have to use a Digital volt meter. Your resistance must be within the range in my earlier post - if it is to high or low then the stator is bad. If the reading are somewhere near the limits of what is considered good, the stator could still be bad.

I outlined procedures to check all other igntion items in link to a earlier post several messages ago. This will run you thru checking the ignition pulse generator, ignition coil, spark plug cap, stator. The only item you cannot check with normal equipment is the CDI, but the CDI's don't fail very often. The weakest link on these bikes is the stator.

Hope this helps.

• xrracerr

Posted March 29, 2005 - 06:51 PM

every thing seems fine how can i cheak the stator to be 100% shure

• xrracerr

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:09 PM

and the stator inside looks good (to me it does) is there any thing i should look for in the stator

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 30, 2005 - 07:54 AM

and the stator inside looks good (to me it does) is there any thing i should look for in the stator

I think the only way to really know is with the peak voltage test. My old multimeter wouldn't capture it either. Truck it down to the shop and have them hook it up and test it, then you'll know. I feel your pain on this, it sucks having no fire and no idea why. Especially considering the parts (stator, cdi, coil) are expensive and non returnable so you don't want to go taking pot-shots at it..

good luck. :naughty:

• xrracerr

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:33 AM

bought a new rickystator still no spark any other advise

• SDBSKI

Posted April 02, 2005 - 12:20 PM

I just bought a '93 650L. The previous owner had no spark so he bought a new stator. Still no spark until he replaced the CDI unit. Better check everything before you buy. :naughty:
Steve

• xrracerr

Posted April 02, 2005 - 04:10 PM

thanks alot guys the spark is back it was the stator i dident connect the new one correctly old one is trash got a new probmel exhaust goes red in like 30sec after started right nexto the motor any idea anyone

• captb

Posted April 03, 2005 - 08:28 PM

Sounds like the timing is retarded.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.