looked at the 450x today

24 replies to this topic
  • hurricane jonny

Posted March 25, 2005 - 05:22 AM

I'm not impressed. I don't understand. They come out with a "nice" bike for the masses, and everybody makes it sound like it's the best thing that ever happened. :) After reading the reviews, trying one, and asking a lot of questions, it's another bike. :p After all the hype, technology, etc... It only wighs 20 lbs. less than a BRP, the starter barely turns the motor over, c'mon! :D All the mags make it sound like it's going to dethrown KTM. I'm here to tell ya it's not. Go back and try again Honda. For $7199! How about a hydraulic clutch? Real aluminum bars. A starter motor that came from a R/C car doesn't cut it. Ti valves? :) Haven't we been over this? They don't hold up!! Put stainless ones in. I was hoping for some new miracle machine as well. I'll be keeping my BRP until they get it right.

• frankstr

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:42 AM

I agree, Honda need's to bring back the complete XR line.... :)
If they build it, They will come and buy them...........IMHO

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 25, 2005 - 07:25 AM

I agree, Honda need's to bring back the complete XR line.... :)
If they build it, They will come and buy them...........IMHO

i couldn't agree more.

honda did/is doing the stupidest thing it can possibly do by replacing the XRs with modern CRFs.

even suzuki still offers the DRZ. . .

jeremiah

• bigtom17

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Thats a sad review. I agree its sad that Honda outs those Crappy bars on. What the Hell. At least put on Renthals. I love Honda always have. But I got friends that have the KTM and gotta tell ya, someone at Red better be watching and taking notes. They out out a sweet product. I dumped $1k after a new BRP just to get rid of the sub par crap.

• DualSport650

Posted March 25, 2005 - 11:20 AM

I totally agree. There's NO WAY I'd buy one of those 280 pound 450 cc wimpy titanium valved foo-foo girly bikes for $7200.

After weighing all my options and strongly considering a new high-zoot scoot like the Husky 510, a KTM 525, or the CRF450X, I decided I'd get the most "fun-factor" from an "old school" Honda XR650R.

So, I sold my really old school XR600 for $2000 and bought a barely used and babied 2001 XR650R with only 2000 miles for just $4000. I was only $2000 out of pocket, and It came with a TON of aftermarket goodies. It's way better than my XR600, has even more torque and power, guaranteed to be bullet-proof reliable. Evertime I ride it I can't wipe the stupid grin off my face, so I know I made the right decision. :)

And what's up with these electric starters? It's a freaking dirt bike man! My XR650 starts with ONE KICK every time even with the crappy stock carburetor!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 25, 2005 - 01:39 PM

And what's up with these electric starters? It's a freaking dirt bike man! My XR650 starts with ONE KICK every time even with the crappy stock carburetor!

Hey man everything you say about the XR650 is true but you gotta admit the E-start is a nice perk. So I installed a Baja Designs E-start on my BRP and couldn't be happier. Yeah they start with one kick but if you ride tight mountain trails like I do you can get yourself in situations where it ain't easy to give it that one kick. Just push the button and smile. :)

• miguelitro

Posted March 25, 2005 - 01:40 PM

DS650- i'm on the same boat man , sellin the 91 600 for an 02 650r, looked at 450's dont like em evn looked at 250 2 strokes, even looked at ktm's but regardless of all the hype they are NOT reliiable period, i'd say ask some of the guys I know but they dont think that 4 sets of valves in 2 years is that bad, I do.
BRP- reliiable powerful, competitive, fun fun bikes to ride easy to work on, pretty cheap and very available parts, 6000 out hte door and ready to ride pretty ready to race.

Cant be beat that IMNSHO..

• DualSport650

Posted March 25, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hey Old_Man_Time,

I'm not dissing on your electric starter at all. :)

I'm just saying the electric starters the other bikes have didn't sway me one bit in my bike buying decision. It's about 15-20 pounds more weight that I can live without.

My bro has a KLX400s (DRZ400s) and he's always dissing on my bike because I have to kick it to start it. But his bike weighs 300 pounds like my dual sported BRP does, and it has HALF THE POWER. It just doesn't make sense to me... :)

Plus, mine is not [COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR]...

http://www.moto-guide.com/images/xr650r3.jpg

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 25, 2005 - 03:18 PM

Look at my sig.

The best of both worlds. Reliable BRP and a NON maintenance intensive MXer to haul ass on.

Getting rid of the XR line is the singularly most stupid decision ANY manufacturer could do. Replacing it with the CRFX line.....just triples the imbecility.

[joke] PS. making fourstrokes lighter is a good thing, adding an e-start to them....is going in the wrong direction. I'm old school. If you can't start your bike with your leg....go buy a golf cart and a skirt [/joke]

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 25, 2005 - 04:49 PM

Hey Old_Man_Time,

I'm not dissing on your electric starter at all. :p

I'm just saying the electric starters the other bikes have didn't sway me one bit in my bike buying decision. It's about 15-20 pounds more weight that I can live without.

My bro has a KLX400s (DRZ400s) and he's always dissing on my bike because I have to kick it to start it. But his bike weighs 300 pounds like my dual sported BRP does, and it has HALF THE POWER. It just doesn't make sense to me... :)

Plus, mine is not [COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR]...

http://www.moto-guide.com/images/xr650r3.jpg

I wish Washington would let me dual sport mine. Your sooooo lucky. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpasaurus

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:09 PM

...So, I sold my really old school XR600 for $2000 and bought a barely used and babied 2001 XR650R with only 2000 miles for just $4000. I was only $2000 out of pocket...

I sold my DS 600R for $1800 and bought a street titled '00 650R for $2200.. with HRC kit installed and the original tires still on it. :)

(it needed a carb cleaning and some plastic replaced though :) still a great deal, IMO)

• DualSport650

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:24 PM

That's the XR650R deal of the CENTURY! :)

Where did ya find one that cheap???

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 25, 2005 - 06:51 PM

Where did ya find one that cheap???

Found it locally. I had no intentions or extra cash for replacing my 600 at the time (right after christmas) but I just couldn't pass up a chance to go from a '92 to an '00 for so little. :)

• qadsan

Posted March 25, 2005 - 07:33 PM

Wow, that's a killer deal :)

• XR6's_rule

Posted March 25, 2005 - 11:06 PM

Release an XR400 with a bit more power, (not necesarily more than a WR450F) better suspension and chassis, no liquid cooling and better looks and watch them walk out the showrooms, wouldnt you guys agree?

• big t

Posted March 26, 2005 - 12:01 AM

Yeah, I would think if Honda just updated suspension and gave the 400 little more hp it would be perfect. This whole CRF reliabilty thing really surprises me considering the XR lines reliabilty record. You would think Honda would want to keep that reputation with the CRF line but apparently not. If the 450x was as reliable as the XR I would have no problem selling my 650 and 450 to buy one. That's what everybody wants is a 50 hp, electric start, 220lbs, low maintenance and bullet proof bike ready for mx, desert, woods and street legal. :)

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 26, 2005 - 12:16 AM

That's what I'm talking about big t! The price of the 450X isn't warranted with the cheap hardware. I'd even settle for 250 lbs. I'm lookin' for a red KTM. They even come with Excel rims stock! I think the pumpkins have proven their reliabilty. D.B. did a rebuild on the 400 exc and it had over 20,000 documented hard miles on it. If they can do it, why can't Red?

• Harty

Posted March 26, 2005 - 12:35 AM

Damn good work fellas. I'm looking at second hand 99 & 00's YZF/WR's 400's and 426's, but I can't go past a 250 2 smoke or XR600 for reliability and fun. Who wants to be on the gas ready for a meltdown!!...not me. Why complicate bikes if they blow their load every couple of years. Bring back the XR 400, 600 and introduce an XR 500, lighten them up, power them up, and stiffen them up then watch them walk. Do this until they can make a 450x that will go 4 years on a set of valves with an oil change every month. They should increase the oil capacity and fill up the whole frame, have it circulating. And there's no excuse for it being that heavy...

• KeithBoyd

Posted March 26, 2005 - 12:53 AM

I agree Harty....the likes of 4 sets of vlaves in 4 yrs....and some think thats OK???...i thought the idea of a 4 stroke was to oil and fuel it and GO!!!....everytime.....what about the people like me who can just do normal maintainance...not 4 stroke ENGINE strip downs(although I can strip 2 strokes,because thats what I grew up with...like a lot of others..!!!)....You buy the likes of a 450x only to find that you still have to strip it the same amount of times as your 2 stroke...so you leave it into the dealer and it takes twice the amount of time therefore labour!!...and the parts are still as expensive..if not more....it just does`nt make sense...if you plan on stripping down your engine that many times then you WOULD be better to go for a 2 stroke.....!!!....at least with the BRP you would`nt mind having to strip it down 2 times in 8 years!!!! :)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 26, 2005 - 07:14 AM

...at least with the BRP you would`nt mind having to strip it down 2 times in 8 years!!!! :)

Yeah and thats a conservative estimate. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.