FMF Powerbomb & Q silencer, yay or nay?

14 replies to this topic
  • Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted March 24, 2005 - 03:54 PM

Got this setup for my 00' yz426, but haven't yet installed it. Please offer up your opinions, comments, gripes, accolades, etc.....

I know it wont flow as well as my current setup (DSP full titanium), but that may not be a bad thing since my bike lacks lowend power (I think so anyway). How did this setup affect your jetting? Change power characteristics? Noise?
Just looking for a little feedback to determine whether I install it or sell it.

Thanks!

• motobark

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:02 PM

The best 96db pipe right now is the Titanium Q, or the Q2 if weight isn't an issue for you. (IMHO)
I was planning on posting my feedback on the Ti Q, maybe I'll have a chance tonight. (I'm supposed to be working right now.)

John

• rakkno

Posted March 25, 2005 - 07:12 AM

Q pipe is a big negative. I bought the set up to quiet my 426 and hated it. I could not get it to run right. I have the power bomb and all. I tried to jet it, move the needle clip and and adjust the fuel screw until my head was about to explode. I finally gave up and went back to my old exhaust. :) :p :) :D

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted March 25, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Where did you do your testing at? Elevation, etc.....

Appreciate the input rakkno!

• rakkno

Posted March 25, 2005 - 10:11 AM

I tried to set it up while riding at Carnegie. (200-1000') 3 separate trips ranging from warm 70 degree to cold and rainy weather. It just bogged so bad it was like having a two stroke with a powerband. I have talked to others that got theirs to run OK but still with a large power loss. Let me know if you find the secret combo to make your bike run with this if you try it.

• motobark

Posted March 25, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Brandon, what model Q did you buy? If it's the older version, I'd suggest selling it or taking it back for the Q2 or the Ti Q. There is a difference between the older design and the new ones. Believe me, I have over 30 years experience with jetting and exhaust on 2 and 4 strokes, the new FMF Q's are the best 96db pipe designs I've seen so far.

Either one of the new Q's shouldn't mess up your jetting badly, if at all. If all else fails, put all the jetting back to stock and you should be close. As far as power loss, I'm betting most guys aren't going to notice a big power difference between a stock YZ muffler and one of the new Q's. If you're an A level rider, you will notice the power difference, but it's better than most 96db pipes. It certainly isn't going to make your 4 stroke run like a 2 stroke

• rakkno

Posted March 25, 2005 - 10:41 AM

If you are a fan of the Q I will give you a great deal on one. I have the Q and power bomb with 3 rides I bought for 500.00+ three weeks ago. I will sell it for 350.00. I have an E series on it now and believe me there is a significantly more power than the Q could even dream of producing. I have always ran FMF exhaust on my bikes including on the street and have never been dissapointed until now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted March 25, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I got the old one, which I bought from a fellow TT'r so returning/exchanging are not an option. I'll give it a try and if I really dont like it then I spose' I could sell it at no loss.
Thanks for the words!

• motobark

Posted March 25, 2005 - 12:07 PM

If you are a fan of the Q I will give you a great deal on one. I have the Q .

WHICH ONE????? There's currently 3 models available. It makes a big difference, that was my point.

I have never been a fan of FMF mufflers, I actually think most of them are heavy, don't make good power and aren't very dependable. (I've picked up a few on the trail that have fallen or broken off.) I personally wouldn't buy any of the Q's other than the new Titanium model, which I now have. No more than I'd sell my YZ450 and ride a YZ400.

When we're trying to give valuable feedback on equipment here (or slamming it, like you did), we really need to state what model the product is. I could say those blue bikes are piles of #rap, but leave out the fact that I was talking about a TTR225. (Oops, sorry rakkno, I just saw you have a TTR225. I meant a TTR250, now those were bad!) I also stated my experience because I also believe that makes a difference when giving feedback on dirtbikes and equipment. I'm an A level rider, I've been around dirtbikes for a long time, and I've also been a Journeyman drivability tech in a GM dealership for over 20 years.

My advice for Brandon still stands, if you can trade up to the newer Q2 or Ti Q, I think you'll be happier than with the older Q.

John

• rakkno

Posted March 25, 2005 - 02:24 PM

Woo, looks like I hit a nerve. I was speaking of my experience with the Qpipe not the Q2 not the TiQ. I thought that is what was asked. I am not happy with my Q pipe and that is my opinion based on fact of owning a Q.
By the way my girlfriend was very upset that you ripped on her TT-R. She loves it like you apparently love your 450. :) :) :p
Happy Trails................Rick&Linda

• mnovarossi

Posted March 26, 2005 - 02:44 PM

I have a Q muffler (6 months old, not Ti) and the stock head pipe. I am happy with the muffler, I wanted to quite the bike and it works. I did not change the jetting and I did not really notice a power decrease. It changed power delivery a bit but no big deal for me.

• rakkno

Posted March 27, 2005 - 10:54 PM

Just to update the Q pipe scene. I changedthe jets to a 164 main and 42 pilot(stock). I set my needle on 3 rd from the top and set the pilot screw at 2 turns out. The bike runs pretty strong now. No bog thank goodness. I spent the weekend at Hollister and decided to try the Q one last time. It definately has a little less hit than it did with the E series but I didn't notice anyones ears bleeding from the excessive noise. Not sure if it will work on yours but seems to be the ticket on mine. I am going to try to give it a little more fuel with the screw next trip. I worry a little that I may be too lean now but haven't checked to plug yet. :naughty: :naughty: :D :D :D :cry: :D :D

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted March 28, 2005 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting for the headpipe to arrive, but should be able to test this weekend. I'll report back when I have something to report.

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:22 AM

Just to update the Q pipe scene. I changedthe jets to a 164 main and 42 pilot(stock). I set my needle on 3 rd from the top and set the pilot screw at 2 turns out. The bike runs pretty strong now. No bog thank goodness. I spent the weekend at Hollister and decided to try the Q one last time. ... I am going to try to give it a little more fuel with the screw next trip. I worry a little that I may be too lean now but haven't checked to plug yet. :naughty: :D :D :D :cry: :D :D :naughty:

Wow....that might be lean.....

Im on an 03 at 5700feet and running PJ42, MJ162, #4 and 2 out on PS. This jetting is right in ballpark for 65'f at this altitude with stock pipe. I dunno....it sure is picky on jetting.

• simimi

Posted March 28, 2005 - 08:35 PM

I have a 1998 YZ400F with a Q from about 3 years ago, is this the first version? Anyways, with Powerbomb header and the Q here is where my bike is set up. BTW, starts first or second kick, rarely need the Hot Start, and when cold just the choke to get it started. Maybe I am lucky, I bought the bike this way.

PJ50
MJ 320
Needle R1
Clip 3rd position
Float Height 14mm +- 1mm
Cut away 4
Air Screw 1.5 turns.

I ride at sea level to 1000 ft. Hollister, metcalf, club moto,

Anytime you guys are going riding, let me know!

Mike

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.