changing oil ?

9 replies to this topic
  • keestan31

Posted March 24, 2005 - 02:02 PM

Well i just bought a 99' yz 400 and before riding it went through all the normal maintnence...when i was changing my oil i took out the bolt on the frame and the oil shot all ove my front tire...i know this is normal but i was just wondering you all take off the front tire when changing the oil or just dont worry about it?

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 24, 2005 - 02:07 PM

No man, you don't need to pull your front wheel off. :) Just hold a catch basin right in front of the drain until the thing starts tailing off. It's a pain, but XR600 owners have been doing this for years now. :p

That must have made a helluva mess :)

• XriderR00

Posted March 24, 2005 - 02:45 PM

turn your tire silly

• keestan31

Posted March 24, 2005 - 03:48 PM

i tried turning the wheel then it gets all over the rim silly

• keestan31

Posted March 24, 2005 - 03:49 PM

yes it did make a hell of a mess......wasnt ready for it to shoot that far

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:13 PM

Put a pan under it, the bigger the better. When you loosen the bolt, DO NOT remove it all the way. I mean unscrew it all the way, but hold it about 1/4" away from the frame. The oil stream will hit the bolt and go strait down into the pan. After about 10 seconds the flow eases up a bit and you can remove your hand and just let it flow. Latex gloves are spectacular for oil changes BTW, the local grocery or drug store probably carries them for < $10 for 100. After a few tries you'll be able to do it without spilling a drop. :)

• DoctorRzed

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:34 PM

Or you can just hold up the basin w/one hand on an angle untill the oil lows down???duh

• Goosedog

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:51 PM

Since my first oil change, and after I cleaned off the front tire, I started to pull the case plug first and then the frame plug after the pressure was down a bit. I don't know why that should be a problem even though it's against manuel procedure. :)

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2005 - 05:46 PM

Or you can just hold up the basin w/one hand on an angle untill the oil lows down???duh

Too complicated.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 24, 2005 - 05:55 PM

The Billy Who Manfunnel works just fine.

Next week, we'll see if it still works with a Utah skidplate installed :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.