XR600R Knocking ??? Or just noise ???

2 replies to this topic
  • JetPilot

Posted March 24, 2005 - 01:18 PM

I have a 1993 XR600R, stock everything and recently rebuilt the engine, new just about everthing :D !!! The bike runs flawlessly, starts easy, etc. I have 15/48 gearing :) ... When I open it up on the highway, full throttle, I detect maybe some different noise, but barely, cant tell what it is :) . But againhere is so much wind, chain noise, etc. at this speed I would barely hear a truck horn :p , let alone knocking. At full throttle, the bike just goes very fast, and power RPM's and power just seem to run out, but its smooth, no missing or anything, but there is a sound thats just a little different as I advance the trottle to the full open position... Im afraid to run it at full throttle for very long, because I dont want to destroy my engine if it is knocking :D , how can I tell ???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beachcruiser

Posted March 24, 2005 - 02:02 PM

My guess and nothing but a GUESS is possibly valve spring tension or a lack of. The installed height after a valve job changes usually increasing spring length and decreasing tension. Springs weaken with heat and age at high RPM they have a tendency to not follow the cam causing a rattling sound. If all the components were inspected and clearances checked when it was assembled, My GUESS is springs. The best way to find out how your engine is wearing normal/abynormal is the oil and Filter. Take the oil filter and wrap it with paper towels to draw out the oil, this might take a day or two. Cut the ends off stretch out the filter and look for fiber and or metal. A little is normal allot is a sign of things to come.

• JetPilot

Posted March 25, 2005 - 10:40 AM

Dont remember if I bought new springs or not, dont think so :) . The sound seems to change more with full throttle than with just rpm. Anyone out there know how to hear a knocking motor :) with so much other noise going on ???

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.