05 DRZ400E vs 05 WR450 or WR250F

24 replies to this topic
  • turbojedi

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:43 PM

I went for a ride with my buddy last weekend. I ride a 05 WR450. He has an 03' DRZ 400 with a pipe. The DRZ is really a good bike. Especially if you like cruising around lookin at stuff. It is very easy and forgiving to ride. The downfalls are the suspension and the power, I rode the bikes back to back and the DRZ felt like I was bottoming out every where I went. Very heavy in corners. As For the 250 I have one of those too. Completly different ride. If you like a pipey motor with only respectable bottom end, more of a two stroke w/ torque feel, It could be for you, way lite though. My two cents

• Bamster

Posted April 07, 2005 - 03:06 PM

If you are going to ride a lot of tight stuff the WR 250 is the best choice.
This idea of the 250 is for novice rider is a bunch of crap.
My friend has a WR 250 and I have a WR 400. I can ride his bike as fast as my bike through the trails and feel a lot less tired at the end of the day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • turboparton

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:46 AM

I thought there were some noticeable draw backs to the wr250:
More maintenance
Not a good hill climber
You have to work to keep the revs up and stay in the power.

I'll try not to keep this thread going forever, but one question I do have is cornering ability. I've heard the DRZ is heavier in general, but that the pre '05 WRs are top heavy. Which one is better in the corners?

• bandit99

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:06 AM

I have ridden both bike and bought an 05 WR450. I am not anti Suzuki because I own a SV1000 and a 1990 DR100 pit bike. A friend has a DRZ400 and it is a heavy bike. The DRZ's center of gravity feels high compared to the WR and it has a lot less power. The mods are going to be pretty much the same cost. The 05 WR is electric start too which is key to not getting tired.

• N7SLC

Posted April 12, 2005 - 04:00 PM

Well, this same "type" of thread has been beatin' to a bloody pulp until the only way
to clean things up is with a sponge.

Come to the WR450 forum and the DRZ sucks. Go to the DRZ forum and the WR sucks.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here is mine:

Do I like my DRZ? Yes, I certainly do.
Do I regret buying it? Nope.

I paid $4200 and I have nearly $2,000 in upgrades. That's about equal to the
cost of a WR but I wanted e-start and the WR didn't have that in '02.
Yes, the DRZ has less power and it's suspended pretty soft. I upgraded to heavier
springs and did a 440 kit. In Moab two weeks ago, I was jumping at heights and
distances I could have only dreamed about with the stock suspenion.
My DRZ can handle anything the WR can and has the same power. Ddialogue will
tell you that the power feels exactly like his WR450.

With all the "extras" the WR is still lighter but not by much. Maintanence is about the
same with the expection that you can go nearly twice as long on an oil change with
the DRZ because it holds nearly twice the amount of oil as the WR.

Yes, headshake has always been an issue with the DRZ and can be quite scary topped
out in 5th gear in a sand wash. With the rising cost of everything, I'll just get a
dampner and my DRZ will be even better.

Would I by a WR over the DRZ today if I were in the market? Yes, I probably would
simply because the WR has better suspension and makes more power right out of the
crate.

Now, if Suzuki makes a factory DRZ450 with USD forks....well, I'd have to stay Yellow.

Peace bruthas...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.