05 DRZ400E vs 05 WR450 or WR250F

24 replies to this topic
  • turboparton

Posted March 24, 2005 - 09:49 AM

My only previous riding was as a youngster, but I'm looking to start doing some trail riding with some friends I know. Most of the folks around here ride KTMs, but they are quite expensive and they just do dirt riding. I don't intend to do a lot of street riding, just putting around to get my fix when I can't make it to the trails.

My understanding is that the DRZ400 is the long time DS trail king, but that the 05 WR450 got some improvements to make it a better trail bike. I don't want to have to spend a bunch in aftermarket parts to bring the bike up to speed and I also want low maintenance.

So which is the best?

Which requires the lest amount of aftermarket stuff? (skid plates, case guards, shock valving etc.)

How does the maintenance compare???

I'm 6'1" and 190ish lbs....

• Waxy

Posted March 24, 2005 - 10:10 AM

I've never ridden a WR, so I can't really give you an honest opinion one way or another, just my opinion on the DRZ.

I've got an '01 DRZ400E. I dual sported it myself.

From the description of your intended riding, I'd say the DRZ is a perfect fit.

You'll need to spend around $2-300 on handguards, skidplate and possibly case guards (the water pump is vulnerable in crashes) for any serious off roading, but that's true of any bike. If you buy the S model (street legal) you'll need better tires before heading off road.

The DRZ is fine bone stock, but with a little simple and inexpensive jetting, you can really improve performance. On top of that, the engine is pretty much bulletproof, just change the oil regularly.

Suspension is great for trail work, a little soft for the big jumps and anything approaching MX.

The electric start is awesome.

Street manners are pretty good - but riding knobbies on wet pavement is like trying to ride on ball bearings. :)

If the prices on the DRZ I'm seeing around here are any indication, it's likely a lot less expensive too.

Anyhoo, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Waxy

• mousemeat

Posted March 24, 2005 - 12:43 PM

With the WR you get more power, and better suspension at the expense of more frequent oil changes and higher cost. I wouldn't get a 250 four stroke, but if i did, then the wr is the one i would get.

The WR takes some 'uncorking' to get the power out of it. Not much money, but a little bit of time. It sucks cause you can't wait to jump on and thrash it, but its also kind of nice because you get to familiarize yourself with the bike.

Check the dual sport laws in your state to see if it is easier to dual sport the 'E' or put the 'S' on a diet.

Also if you are on the tall side, look for an '04 WR. If you are a short arse, then look at an '05 WR or the DRZ.

• shawnwt

Posted March 24, 2005 - 01:49 PM

turboparton
I just got back into the sport after 20 years. Got the itch so I went down to the dealers,started looking and came home with a brand new 04 drz
Suzuki. I bought it because of price and figured if Didn't like it I could put a little cash into it and make it how I wanted it.After riding the bike for 2 Mo's i sold it.The drz is a great trail bike that's it. the power and suspension need work.I checked around and to get the bike the way I would like it was anywhere from $1500-$2000.I am 48 years old and I ride trail, desert and jump on a track just to humor myself.So I went out and bought the 05 wr450 yamaha and love it.The yamaha needed very little time and minor cost (jd jetting kit around $65.00bucks) to bring it to life the mods are free and all the info is right here
at your finger tips. You can dial the power in as you like, I am sure you will have it
fully uncorked in no time plus you will familiarize yourself with the bike doing the mostly free mods.I compaired the maintenace schedules and drz and wr450
are almost the same.I can't say enough about the wr450 it is just a blast everytime I take it out. Or it takes me out. :) :)

• armadillo

Posted March 24, 2005 - 09:27 PM

Also if you are on the tall side, look for an '04 WR. If you are a short arse, then look at an '05 WR or the DRZ.

How much of difference are we talking here on the 04 vs 05 as per tall and short riders?

I'm 6'2", seems like there are a lot of improvments to the 05 to make it worth it. A tall seat and lower footpegs should solve the issue.

Thoughts?

• DCaddy

Posted March 24, 2005 - 09:36 PM

I'm in the same boat your in, 23 years since my last serious ride, only difference is that last Sunday I bought a new 05 WR450. I am dying now, haven't ridden it yet except down the street, can't hardly even sleep just thinking about this Saturday when I finally get to go. This is real punishment. I had the same choice you have on bikes, I guess I'll never know about the Suzy but what I hear on TT and from others I have made the right choice. Good luck with your choice....Ride on!!

• minion

Posted March 24, 2005 - 09:53 PM

I'm in the same boat your in, 23 years since my last serious ride, only difference is that last Sunday I bought a new 05 WR450. I am dying now, haven't ridden it yet except down the street, can't hardly even sleep just thinking about this Saturday when I finally get to go. This is real punishment. I had the same choice you have on bikes, I guess I'll never know about the Suzy but what I hear on TT and from others I have made the right choice. Good luck with your choice....Ride on!!

Heh, I bought my new wr450 on a weekend. The only waiting I have to do is for the next weekend... And the next... And the next.. :)

• dotap33

Posted March 27, 2005 - 11:16 PM

Hey All,

After about a 20 year wait I picked up another bike, I purchased a 2001 DRZ 400. After riding a few years to get back what I lost in those 20 years, I gave my Suzuki to my 18 year old son to Flattrack. I then bought a 2004 WR 450F. The differences in the two are extreme. The Suzuki has good power can get ya around the woods with little effort, but it had some bad head shake, and was a bit heavy in the corners. The Yamaha has more power, quicker response in corners, gets you through the rough stuff smoother and can be maintained in about the same time as the Suzuki. (oil changes are a little more detailed). I did not do any mods to the Suzuki, but did all the free mods on the Yamaha. Since I have added a Scotts Dampner, Renthal Bars and a Twin air filter. I am definately a Yamaha fan now!!!! Hope this helps ya little.

• DLTK

Posted March 27, 2005 - 11:56 PM

I Had Been Out Of The Dirt Bike Game Awhile To.went Down And Got The Wr Did The Free Mods And Jets, Asi Removal,and Pro Billet Insert.you Do These Mod And You Will Love It.

• waterdog3

Posted March 28, 2005 - 07:15 AM

I had an dr400 loved it....great dirt bike.just bought me a WR426,alot of differences.the DR i could manhandle the power,the seat is low compared to a WR,also the bike didn't hit hard.great all around DIRT BIKE, the WR is a totally differnt bike you had better be pointed in the right direction when you hammer it.uncork and remove the airbox lid and the WR will SMOKE the DR. WR=POWER and SUSP.and you better be at least 6' tall. DR= GREAT TRAIL RIDES NOT A COMPETETION BIKE.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted March 28, 2005 - 10:07 AM

I'm 45 and have ridden them all.

If you are not going to race or go anywhere an MX track the Suzuki is fine.
It's just a good fun bike. Very plush and comforable for the long haul.

The WR is more suited to MX and fast HS races. It can be a bit more tiring on long rides but great when the speeds pick up. You can do real moto with it too.

Good luck they are both good bikes.

• Drtbykr

Posted March 28, 2005 - 05:32 PM

I had a DRZ for one year and traded it. Would have saved a ton of money by getting the WR450 first!!

Don't buy an 03. I will never buy a first year model motorcycle again!!
(starter woes and worries)

If I was doing it again I would get a CRF or YZ450 and Z clutch.
It's all about the weight.

• turboparton

Posted April 06, 2005 - 02:19 PM

Is the 05 WR that much better than the 04 for a novice single track rider? I see a lot of 04s for $4500. I also see a lot of 02ish DRZ400 for $2700-$3200...

• eightballeddy

Posted April 06, 2005 - 02:58 PM

I heard the 05 is a little smooter. I have an 04 and i'm a novice rider, but the power comes on real smooth. The 05 also has a smaller tank which means shorter trips or more pit stops depending on where you're riding. I love my 04 :naughty: no complaints at all :naughty:

• sleeman

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:02 PM

If your a novice then you should get a wr250f.

• ScottWR450F

Posted April 06, 2005 - 04:15 PM

I havent ridden in 16 years and got back into riding 3 months ago. I bought a 05 WR450 and am so happy I got what I did. I am 6'4, 270 lbs and gets me up any hill without problems. Make sure you get the throttle stop taken care of and the exaust. It makes a big difference. Without that you have a TTR 250. My dad has just bought a DR 400 but it is pretty heavy compared to the WR.

• chiefsfan.58

Posted April 06, 2005 - 11:46 PM

If your a novice then you should get a wr250f.

Hey guys, I haven't ridden the 250 but on the '05's they are taller than the 450's......... Seems to me that if you were to get a 450 and leave it bone stock (very tame in that form) it might be easier for a novice or shorter guy to handle than the 250. That goes for the '05 450 though because they received the change in the ergonomics as well as the slightly smoother power. Anyone think that makes sense or am I off by quite a bit? I ask because this was the advice I asked my cousin to consider before buying the WR250 (he felt the 450 was just too much bike for him), but a few days later he saved me from taking the chance of being wrong when he went and picked up his '05 CRF250X :naughty: . peace

• turboparton

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:56 AM

I think I've ruled the 250 out due to lack of bottom end... I guess since I am I novice it's hard to evaluate what I'll like once I get back into riding. If I go new and don't like the bike I pick, you take quite a hit trading it a year or two later. If I go used and don't like the bike, the $$ hit isn't quite as bad. I just don't know if it's worth the extra money from $4700 to $6000ish for the improvements made to the 05...

I know what makes each person like a particular bike is a vauge topic, and no one can tell me what the perfect bike for me will be. I'm just trying to become more comfortable with my decision, if I can...

thanks...

• Tomppa68

Posted April 07, 2005 - 09:46 AM

05 DRZ400E has as much power than WR250F :naughty:

hee hee :naughty:

• xcracer123

Posted April 07, 2005 - 01:40 PM

My buddy just bought an '05 WR after not having been on a bike in years. He decided (at my suggestion) to get used to the bike and do the break in with the bike bone stock. This allowed him to get used to the ergos of the bike. After a couple of rides we (I) uncorked it and did all the other mods and he is beyond happy.

Just for reference, I own a '02 DRZ as well. I would recommend the WR over the DRZ any day of the week. I am loving my '04 WR more after every ride. There is really no comparison between the two bikes. The DRZ is great for trails but is a bit heavy. The nastier the riding gets, the more the WR shines!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.