Help< ANY way to put 98 yz wheels on 02... see why

4 replies to this topic
  • Smokey123

Posted March 23, 2005 - 07:25 PM

I just bid on ebay for a 99 wheel and won (front and back) turns out after I set my bid up and come to find I won it, the seller was asked if it was a 98 or 99. He said it was a 98, but his header says 99 and so did his description.

I hate to back out of anything like that, so I'm wondering if there is any way that I could make it work?

Thanks, and remember to always check back to re-read auctions you bid on before they close.
-Ryan

• adrian

Posted March 23, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I am thinking that the only dif would be the axle size which can easily be rectified with different bearings and the size of the wheel spacers which if the 02s wont work you could have a machinist make you up a set. Are you getting disks on the wheels?? I dont think that they would make a diff other than if you had to swap the 02s on and the bolt pattern is dif, sprocket pattern migh be dif also but not sure..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smokey123

Posted March 23, 2005 - 09:14 PM

yeah, the bearings are the difference. I've done a lot of research, but dont see anywhere where I can buy bearings that fit.

The item on ebay is Item number: 4536385734

If I could do it I would. But I don't know a machinist that could take bearings down, then I would worry that the out shell wouldn't meet tollerances and end u failing on me. I wonder if there is a bearing manufacturer that I could give the OD and ID to and have them research it for me?

This could be huge deal for all new YZ owners becuase it would open up the purchasing of rear wheels and lower the price substantially for everyone. So if anyone has a friend. Please help. THX.

• adrian

Posted March 23, 2005 - 09:39 PM

Any bearing place can tell you if they can get a bearing to mate up to the hub. I have done that many times over the years. Just measure the ID/OD and thickness and start calling.. I am sure you can match up something to fit, just try and get it in a double sealed bearing..

• Fastest1

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:10 PM

Isnt the o.d. of the bearing race the same in all years and the i.d. changed due to axle size? I would think just getting the bearings, spacers and axle for the year you need would cure it. Pivot works would know.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.