New Clarke tank on my XRL

7 replies to this topic
  • sgifford

Posted March 23, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I just installed a new Clarke 4.1 gal tank (white) on my XRL and I thought I'd give some feedback. It was easy to install, and fits very nicely. I like the look.

Borrowing dual_dog's idea, I used some extra bolts and washers to anchor the cross-brace to the unused shroud mounts on the frame in front of the engine. The tank is very solid now.

I've been reading about the 'bubble' problems with graphics on aftrmarket tanks and it's got me wondering; why doesn't this happen with stock plastic tanks & graphics? The graphics on my son's 2000 XR100 are just fine.

Is it a problem with the quality of aftermarket graphics? Or the tanks? Does it result from putting graphics too quickly on a brand-new tank?

Seldon

• bork

Posted March 23, 2005 - 06:44 PM

The grafic bubbling seems to come from trapped fumes breathing thru plastic tank , the factory deals are a paperish base and after market are thick vynalish. The paper tend to get damaged easily while after market are tough (except bubbling)

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 23, 2005 - 07:24 PM

Borrowing dual_dog's idea, I used some extra bolts and washers to anchor the cross-brace to the unused shroud mounts on the frame in front of the engine. The tank is very solid now.

Glad I could be of help.

I've been reading about the 'bubble' problems with graphics on aftrmarket tanks and it's got me wondering; why doesn't this happen with stock plastic tanks & graphics? The graphics on my son's 2000 XR100 are just fine.

Is it a problem with the quality of aftermarket graphics? Or the tanks? Does it result from putting graphics too quickly on a brand-new tank?

Seldon

I contacted Clarke about this and they said all plastic tanks are semi-permeable, meaning they are like rubber inner tubes that eventually go flat since rubber is actually pourus. These tanks let the fuel vapors through the plastic.

Their recommendation was to make sure you get perforated graphics to allow the vapors to pass through without becoming trapped and causing bubbles. It's something you either get used to or just have to live with.

• TimBrp

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:42 AM

You need to run at least 5 tanks of gas through it prior to puttin on any graphics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cajun

Posted March 24, 2005 - 05:38 AM

I bought A Clarke tank put a couple of tanks of gas in it, installed Effex perforated graphics about three weeks ago and it looks great.
I found a website that said the bubbling is caused by the plastic still curing and that running the gas through it for a while will speed up the process.

Go for it!

• sgifford

Posted March 24, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

dual_dog: have you had the 'opportunity' to drop your bike with the tank's cross-brace anchored to the frame? I'm wondering if my tank is actually mounted too solidly. It's a fairly regular occurance for me to go down while riding off-road :) , and I'm wondering if I shouldn't loosen the tank mounting up so some side-to-side movement is allowed. I'm afraid the screws that hold the cross-brace in the tank might tear out of the plastic if there is a strong side-impact.

Your thoughts?

Seldon

• justicedone

Posted March 24, 2005 - 12:07 PM

These look hot and I would think they could fit nice on your new white tank with minimal trimming...I was thinking of grabbing them for future because they are pretty sharp, and perfect for white.

go for it dude :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35589

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 24, 2005 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

dual_dog: have you had the 'opportunity' to drop your bike with the tank's cross-brace anchored to the frame? I'm wondering if my tank is actually mounted too solidly. It's a fairly regular occurance for me to go down while riding off-road :) , and I'm wondering if I shouldn't loosen the tank mounting up so some side-to-side movement is allowed. I'm afraid the screws that hold the cross-brace in the tank might tear out of the plastic if there is a strong side-impact.

Your thoughts?

Seldon

I've dropped it, but not with a direct hit on either side of the tank. The good thing is that a plastic tank is much more pliable than metal and will deflect or deform and absorb most of the impact. It probably won't sustain a massive impact, but the "clip" I've used will slide on the rod so it will move with the hit. I really doubt the brass inserts would ever come out, but you never know.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.