Sound check

4 replies to this topic
  • dirtr1der

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:28 PM

OK, Took the insert out of the GYTR exhaust on my 02 WR. I wrapped the spark arrestor with one layer of packing. I warmed the bike up today and tested the noise level. Just as I thought, it is not yet legal. It was around 102 dB at 1/2 throttle. :) I held the meter 45 degrees off the end of the pipe, 20 inches away (thats how they sound check here in Michigan at our club rides.) The bike idles @ 92 dB! At 1/3 throttle, it was around 99 dB.

I am going to try to wrap some more packing before re-installing the moped sounding, power robbing insert.

• Tomppa68

Posted March 22, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Can you please send some pictures of your project? I'm planning to install GYT-R muffler to my bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtr1der

Posted March 24, 2005 - 06:55 PM

I'd send some pics, but it looks like no matter how much packing I use, I can't get enough around the spark arrestor to quiet the bike to 94dB. I just warmed it up again tonight after re-wrapping the screen and I could barely get the spark arrestor back into the silencer without unwinding the packing.

The bike sounded a lot more mellow, but still read 99-100dB on the meter!

What specifically do you want to see???

• Tomppa68

Posted March 24, 2005 - 07:56 PM

Close-up of wrapped screed would be nice :) thanks..

Do you use a "silent insert" for GYT-R muffler?

• trailriderjoe

Posted March 25, 2005 - 04:17 AM

Is your meter at the right angle. A lot of people think the meter has to be pointed at the exhaust while working at the 45° angle. Not adjacent to it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.