05 WR 450 Ignition switch failure

6 replies to this topic
  • CharlesFP

Posted March 22, 2005 - 12:35 PM

My ignition switch popped up at 50 mph. Fortunately I was cruising on a Fire Road. If I was negotiating technical terrain or trying to jump something, it could have resulted in a catastrophic crash. I am nervous about that switch now. Anyone have the same problem?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted March 22, 2005 - 04:25 PM

Yep. As happen to lots of people.
A search pulls up these threads.

Link 1

Link 2

• WheelsUp

Posted March 22, 2005 - 07:38 PM

Both of those threads are talking about the e-start button or kill switch... not the ignition on/off button.

Interesting situation... I can see how a good jolt could cause it to press itself and shut off. Problem is, a toggle would be just as bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tomppa68

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:29 PM

It might do it again :) These kind of "push-lock" switches are usually made of plastic. I haven't try to open it yet. If it's dirty, it might feel it's "locked", but it will bounce back. WD-40 might help.

• simon@vic

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:39 PM

mine works fine.
i would guess that it wasn't all the way "clicked" down. was just suck 90% down. then hit a bump at the right speed.

always "ready on the clutch" will save you in all lock up situations. :)

• jdd123

Posted March 23, 2005 - 07:28 AM

Never

• trailriderjoe

Posted March 23, 2005 - 05:17 PM

I'm waiting for mine to do the same thing!
It's really easy to know when it's getting ready to pop. When you push it down you don't hear it "click" back up. It does enough for the light to come on but not enough for the "click" sound. When I don't hear the click, I just double click mine again. Seems to have kept me from having a "false" switch on feeling. I know it's not a dirt thing either, the bike has 40 some odd miles on it and it's done it since day one. I just kind of figured it's a cheap switch!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.