Installing a new O ring chain and sprockets

3 replies to this topic
  • 150 Fuelie

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:10 AM

I ordered new sprockets for the new O ring chain the seller gave me, do I need to shim the front sprocket to keep the chain from rubbing on the case? If so where can I get a shim? Off the top of your heads, what length do I need to cut this chain down to?
Thanks
PS the bike is a 2000 yz426

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2005 - 09:34 AM

No shimming should be required. As for the length, the best thing is to roll the chain onto your bike with the wheel forward and find a length that works. Be sure you have a real chain breaker for the job, though; most O-ring chains are pretty tough cookies. If you don't have one, I say make an investment in a shop quality breaker you can have for several years and will actually work. Regina makes one for under $30 that is excellent.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vanisland

Posted March 22, 2005 - 07:47 PM

I just put a new O-ring chain on my bike 2 weeks ago.
length is 114 links and was my first sprocket and chain change.
If you've done this before then you probably won't have any trouble with
the master link but I had quite a time putting mine on.
Had to stop and check out some of the threads on what method to use.
I ended up using a small pair of vise grips to squeeze the links together and
a pair of needle nose vise grips to push on the clip on.
That seemed to work pretty well.

• yzf450jack

Posted March 22, 2005 - 09:38 PM

What size chain did you get It should not rub. It should be a 520 not a 530 it's wider :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.