Did I fix my bike or create a grenade?!

3 replies to this topic
  • Shady

Posted March 22, 2005 - 07:11 AM

I have a 2003 YZ450 and was out riding this past weekend. I just bought the bike and the guy that I bought it from said that it was all set up and ready to ride so I didnt do any thorough checking of it. I rode it pretty hard on Sat and the gearing was all wrong so it staying in the high RPMs way more than it should. I decided to quit for the day and slowed to about 5-10mph at my pit and put the bike in 1st and the bike just seized. I tried to put it in neutral and kick it, but the kickstarter wouldnt budge. It also wouldnt budge the wheel when i tried to bump start it and dragged real hard with the clutch pulled while in gear.

Done for the day, I decided to look at it when i got home. Last night I checked it out...nothing wrong with the plug (first sign of a blown motor many times). I opened the cover and turned the motor with a wrench and it felt real tight (you could feel the friction. It loosened up a bit on the down stroke and then would get real "frictiony" and tight on the compression stroke. I checked the clearances and the exhaust valve was tight by .05mm. I did an adjustment and brought it within specs. I put it back together and it fired right up. I let it idle for a few mins, but only rode it for about 30 seconds since it was dark out.

Does an exhaust valve .05mm out of specs seem like it would cause this problem or is my bike a ticking time bomb?

As a side note - I thought for sure the engine was seized and needed at least a resleeving and I brought it into the local shop yesterday to have them do the work for me since I am very time strapped. They wanted $500 just to strip the motor down to diagnose the problem before they did any work! I laughed at him and loaded the bike back up to strip the motor down myself. :)

• FFRacing79

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:52 AM

Check the kickstart mechanism...very week point...if its broke, upgrade to an '04 system.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2005 - 09:40 AM

The only thing that "usually" seizes on these engines is the intake cam. Improper assembly is generally the culprit. If that turns out to be the problem, Engine Dynamics can fix it for you far cheaper than replacing the head.

Of course, if you ran it without adequate oil, all bets are off.

• bushy

Posted March 22, 2005 - 05:39 PM

I think a few other people have posted the kick starter seizing up but coming free after rolling it..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.