coolant overflow

8 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted March 21, 2005 - 12:58 PM


has anyone put some type of coolant overflow container on their YZ? i race harescrambles and enduros and a few times ive over heated and lost coolant I was thinking of devising some catch for the coolant?? i looked into ordering the WR overflow tank but it was a waste of money it would cost me like 50bucks, the cap alone according to parts finder is 10bucks.......I was thinking about this because Im going to order some of that NPG-R coolant, the ONLY place i can get it from in canada is way out in alberta and its going to cost me about 50bucks for a gallon after shipping it(ive heard this is near impossible to boil out).......however if it does i want to save it!!!

  • grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2005 - 01:13 PM


The cap is a necessity. Coolant recovery caps differ from those not built for CR, and a "normal" cap will not do the job. CR systems don't just catch the overflow, they return it to the radiator as the engine cools down underway.

You can devise almost anything to catch the coolant. Just be aware that the coolant can't be recovered unless the tube runs to near the bottom of the reservoir.

IMO, there is no coolant made that's worth $50/gal. A recovery system with a higher cap pressure should be all you need.

  • Dano426

Posted March 21, 2005 - 01:23 PM


Motion Pro makes an Coolant Recovery System. - Then click on Accessories

It looks pretty simple - take a look at the parts and make one that fits behind your number plate.

I am thinking of doing the same thing

  • ISBB

Posted March 21, 2005 - 03:42 PM


why not just use a WR system??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGoalie

Posted March 21, 2005 - 03:44 PM


Coolant recovery system designed around a turkey baster as posted by CRF dorks. :)

http://www.thumperta...oolant recovery

http://www.thumperta...oolant recovery

http://www.thumperta...oolant recovery

The wonders of the 'search' feature.

  • yzf450jack

Posted March 21, 2005 - 04:39 PM


I used one from a WR you have to do some cutting of the fender yamaha gets $18.00 for the tank and $10.00 for the cap :)

  • tammie

Posted March 22, 2005 - 09:06 AM


thanx ....I'll look into the motion pro system its only 30dollars USD for the whole thing, I just have to find out if they will ship to canada.....

otherwise I'll get the WR system. ....what did you have to cut on the rear fender?? i actually havea n aftermarket enduro fender.......has a tailight....

  • ncmountainman

Posted March 22, 2005 - 10:27 AM


if you use the evans NPG-R ,the only way it'll come out in the first place is if the system is compromised (400 deg F boiling point at only 7 psi) i ran it in some 1st gear tight muddy stuff last week at 80+deg F and it never spit a drop :) i removed the tank from mine. $50 a gallon is twice what it cost me from evans but thats the price you pay for living in a 3rd world country :)

  • flogger

Posted March 22, 2005 - 01:39 PM


I used the Wr system on my 400 and it was no problem (No cutting) and it did the trick.

Related Content



Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

  • 0 replies

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.