Stripped seat bolts....................

7 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 27, 2000 - 05:44 AM

I was wordering if anyone besides me has stripped out the the threads on their subframes. I was thinking about re-drilling and taping it out to the next size up or getting a heli-coil and intalling it, any suggestions??? Thanks Dan

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 27, 2000 - 08:17 AM

Sounds like your only 2 options to me Dan.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• Boit

Posted October 27, 2000 - 09:45 PM

Never had this problem. Do you have a habit of tightening these fasteners as tight as you can? With T-handle wrenches, it's easy over torque these rather small fasteners. If you use blue Loctite, you only need snug them down and the Loctite will still hold pretty well even after you have removed and reinstalled these fasteners a couple of times. Just Loctite them again about every two or three removals. Works for me. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 27, 2000 - 11:02 AM

Not the best option but an option none-the-less - how about getting longer slightly narrower bolts installing them through the threaded hole and use lockwashers/washers and nuts on the inboard ends. I can't remember if the current threaded hole goes all the way through to the fenderwell area or not though???

Paul in AZ

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eric_in_WA

Posted October 28, 2000 - 05:32 AM

Dan,

I had the same problem.

1) I don't know if you used Loctite. But, do NOT use Loctite on frequently removed fasteners. This caused my threads to strip out.

2) I cut of the nuts welded to the subframe and welded on new nuts. I used an oxy/acetylene welder. If you don't have one a professional could probably do it for you.

3) Get slightly longer bolts from a hardware store. On my WR the stock bolts did not quite engage all of the threads on the nut.

4) Always torque to spec.

Eric in WA

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 29, 2000 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I do use T-handles and I thought I was being careful but I guess I need to back off.. Thanks again, Dan

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 29, 2000 - 04:28 PM

I would go with the heli-coil option. I stripped out the threads on my thumper bar mounts so I ttok them to a machinest buddy of mine and he heli-coiled them for me and now they are way stronger than the aluminum threads that were cut.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• Scott_F

Posted October 30, 2000 - 06:53 AM

Instead of helicoils, try to find solid threaded inserts, like Timeserts. Get the thin walled ones. McMaster Carr sells them.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Scott F

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.