Timing - WR or YZ?

12 replies to this topic
  • sharpmarble

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:21 AM

For those that have changed their WR timing to YZ, how much low end do you lose? I have my cams out right now to put in new pads, so I'm debating whether or not to try it..... I have every other mod but this and I don't want to lose the low end grunt. I have already done the grey wire mod, so it's on the YZ mapping.

Thanks for your input....

• Gadsen

Posted March 21, 2005 - 12:16 PM

Well, had a YZ timed WR 426, prior to getting the new WR450, which I did buy a YZ cam for. But after feeling how nice the low end power was compared to the YZ timed bike, I opted against it and decided to keep my WR "WR timed". If you ride trails, leave it as is. And if you dont want to lose any low end, leave it. Just my opinion.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted March 21, 2005 - 01:28 PM

Tried both, WR timing for me. The bottom end grunt is what I use most.

• Woodzi

Posted March 21, 2005 - 01:44 PM

On my 426 with a stock Canadian pipe I peferred the WR timing. When I switched to a freer breathing pipe I re-tried the YZ timing and never put it back.

Try it. It only takes about 20 total to change once you figure it out.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 21, 2005 - 01:45 PM

On the 98-02 models I would definitely go with the YZ timing.

Someone might help me here, but I don't think you could yz time an 03 and newer wr without actually getting a yz cam. This is where guys with the 450's are noting a low-end loss (when comparing yz cam to wr cam).

In the pre-03 models you can advance the wr exhaust cam 1 tooth to achieve yz like timing-by which I noticed nothing but gains everywhere. You will notice the difference in the way the motor sounds as soon as it starts. I also noticed how much more crisp it seemed to be throughout the entire rev range. Wouldn't even think about going back.

I have a 99WR.

• Bamster

Posted March 21, 2005 - 03:07 PM

I like my 99 WR YZ timed. Didn't lose much off the bottom but the mid and top gain was very noticable. I have an fmf header(makes changing the oil filter a lot easier) and fmf mega max. I pulled off the Mega max(started to fall apart) and ran the stock for low noise and a little more bottom end. I also found running a tooth less on the counter and a few more on the rear help in the tight stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_from_HB

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:31 PM

On the 98-02 models I would definitely go with the YZ timing.

Someone might help me here, but I don't think you could yz time an 03 and newer wr without actually getting a yz cam. This is where guys with the 450's are noting a low-end loss (when comparing yz cam to wr cam).

In the pre-03 models you can advance the wr exhaust cam 1 tooth to achieve yz like timing-by which I noticed nothing but gains everywhere. You will notice the difference in the way the motor sounds as soon as it starts. I also noticed how much more crisp it seemed to be throughout the entire rev range. Wouldn't even think about going back.

I have a 99WR.

Bingo. I was going to say that my '00WR400F picked up some low end when I went to YZ timing. Didn't lose any. In fact, it picked up everywhere. It's more sudden, more snap, especially since I now run Powerbomb and FMF Q. I don't usually ride in mud, but I do ride in dry desert conditions sometimes (very slippery). But the sudden power is more of a help than a hinder. Jetting made a bigger difference, though.
I'm not a power freak, either. Won't use a big bore kit, or a hot piston, cam or other aftermarket internals. I just want it to run like those smart bas$%^$ds at Yamaha designed it to do.
I'm told that changing a 450 to YZ cam doesn't yield much of a change. I know a guy who's WAAAYYY faster and more skilled than I and he tried it, changed it back. No advantage.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:57 PM

[quote name='Dan_from_HB'] I just want it to run like those smart bas$%^$ds at Yamaha designed it to do. QUOTE]

Exactly! :)

• Math

Posted March 21, 2005 - 08:01 PM

I'm in the same position as you are. I will try the YZ timing. Not so tough to come back if I'm not pleased. But I'm pretty sure I'll like it. :)

• JRAMBO

Posted March 21, 2005 - 08:23 PM

I like my 02 WR timed but like some one else said trails leave it WR timed.I love my low end grunt of my bike.Not one time since I have had my bike ever had to down shift for power no matter what gear it is in it has power.I ride mostly trails on mine but have tried some track works great for me.Just my 2 cents.Good luck with yours.

• bluebike1999

Posted March 21, 2005 - 10:55 PM

"I'm not a power freak, either. Won't use a big bore kit, or a hot piston, cam or other aftermarket internals. I just want it to run like those smart bas$%^$ds at Yamaha designed it to do. "

my thoughts too. i have wondered lately whether or not the people at Yamaha refer to something like TT for real world feedback. Has anyone ever provided input to the Yamaha factory?
anyone been to the Yamaha factory?( mecca)
i have read so much here about the yz timing but have been reluctant to do it for fear of..... well I don't know, again I just want it to run the way they made it, but after reading the posts when I do my valve adjust next weekend I reckon i'll give it a shot. am using stock exhaust.
cant find manual for 99wr400, if anyone knows where they are, much appreciated

• racemile

Posted March 22, 2005 - 03:18 PM

I have had my 02 WR YZ timed for most of it's life. The snap out of the engine is wonderful. At 240 in a towel I need somthing that can pull me. I already had a smaller counter sprocket on the front.

I have all the low end I can manage, but, I still ride above 7000 ft most of the time.

I think you will love it.

Race

• SPUTTER

Posted March 22, 2005 - 03:37 PM

I put in the 03 yz cam in my 02WR, more low-end, more mid and good run-out. Much, much better than stock for any kind of condition IMO.
grey wire mod, yz exhaust.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.