proper way to adjust spoke tension

2 replies to this topic
  • borsy

Posted October 26, 2000 - 04:42 PM

When checking spoke tension for a true wheel
should you check a spoke every 90° until 1 full revolution,then skip to next spoke and repeat until all are checked and adjusted.
I read one manual that said check & set every 4th spoke so 9 times in firstfull turn
then skip one and repeat until all are adjusted. not sure which is best any ideas.
Thanks borsy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Howard_Huge

Posted October 27, 2000 - 03:56 PM

Take your wheels down to someone who trues wheels for a living. The cost for me was well worth the headache of trying to true it myself.Besides that they actually got them tight enough so they are less likely to loosen.

• Bill

Posted October 29, 2000 - 07:25 AM

Assuming the rim is straight and you are just doing maintenance. I have the bike on the stand and tap the spoke with the spoke wrench and listen for a high frequency tone when I strike the spoke. If it sounds dull I tighten the spoke about a eighth to quarter turn and go the the next spoke. I keep doing this till the pitch sounds the same on all of the spokes.

Once set they stay in place fairly well. I noticed the spokes around the rim locks are the ones that need the most maintenance and after riding a lot of whoops the spokes need to be checked.

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.