K&N or foam?

36 replies to this topic
  • hurricane jonny

Posted March 21, 2005 - 12:13 AM

Is anyone using a K&N filter? How is it for cleaning intervals and breathing?

• TimBrp

Posted March 21, 2005 - 04:17 AM

Foam, Foam, Foam. Dude it's gonna be mudseason up here in New England. I wouldn't use anything but a UNI. That's just my opinion and the majority as you'll see when people chime in. They come with a great aluminum support so you can ditch your backfire screen, if you wanted. Don't run K&N during a dusty season either. You gotta think, yes the K&N will give you the most power(minimal over others at best, on a dyno), but how? It feeds the motor more air hence, letting in more particles. Get one wet and you're screwed too. Get a couple of Uni's and keep them oiled and ready. The 650r dirties a filter within 50 miles to the point that it needs changing. Thing loves AIR!

• big t

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:40 AM

Go with Uni. There has been alot of talk on TT about K&N passing dust. When I had a four wheeler I had a K&N on it and it did pass dust thru it.

• frankstr

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:42 AM

Uni filter's :p :)
I have 2, Alway's a clean and oiled filter ready to go... :)

• sportbiker929

Posted March 21, 2005 - 06:34 AM

Foam Only!

Unless of course you like sand blasting your combustion chamber with fine grit.... Who is to tell?

• qadsan

Posted March 21, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Use foam if you're going to be using your bike in a dirty / dusty environment. If you insist on the K&N, then consider using their prefilter (Outerwaer, Uni-wrap,etc) if you're running in the dirt. The stock 650r air filter is actually a very good air filter.

• minioutlaw

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:11 AM

I was running a K&N. Until I noticed all the dust in the intake tract. I'm now back to the UNI.

• justicedone

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:20 AM

UNI gets my vote 4 shizzle my nizzle...properly maintained cant be beat and they are relatively cheap (like $35).

• TimBrp

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:28 AM

UNI gets my vote 4 shizzle my nizzle...properly maintained cant be beat and they are relatively cheap (like $35).

I don't know where you buy them but I get them for $17.99.

• qadsan

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:36 AM

I don't know where you buy them but I get them for $17.99.

Tim, is the $17.99 price for the Uni foam filter 'with' the aluminum frame or is it for just the Uni foam filter without the aluminum frame? The aluminum frame versions are more expensive and if you're getting them for $17.99, that's a killer deal :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:49 AM

In the summer, I am contantly riding in very fine dust. I have to change the filter almost every ride, and I usually lead our group.

Both the UNI and the White Bros. foam have let very fine dust into the box. Trust me I know how to oil them. The stock is the only filter that does'nt.

I went back to using the stock backfire screen with all three filters I have (UNI, White Bros., OEM). That completely fixed the problem. the box is clean as a whistle. :D

The stuff I ride I rarely get beyond 3rd or 4th gear so a performance change is not noticed.

:)

Tim, is the $17.99 price for the Uni foam filter 'with' the aluminum frame or is it for just the Uni foam filter without the aluminum frame? The aluminum frame versions are more expensive and if you're getting them for $17.99, that's a killer deal :p

That is a smokin deal. How about lettin the rest of us in on it. :)

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Foam, Foam, Foam. Dude it's gonna be mudseason up here in New England. I wouldn't use anything but a UNI. That's just my opinion and the majority as you'll see when people chime in. They come with a great aluminum support so you can ditch your backfire screen, if you wanted. Don't run K&N during a dusty season either. You gotta think, yes the K&N will give you the most power(minimal over others at best, on a dyno), but how? It feeds the motor more air hence, letting in more particles. Get one wet and you're screwed too. Get a couple of Uni's and keep them oiled and ready. The 650r dirties a filter within 50 miles to the point that it needs changing. Thing loves AIR!

i disagree about the K&N

no where is muddier or dustier than western WA. my 85 600R had a K&N for 10+ years. the engine is 100% OEM and has tons of compression.

the K&N works fine to keep out dirt/dust.

jeremiah

• deano

Posted March 21, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I agree with beer stud on the K&N issue. I have had a K&N on my '94 XR600 since new and the bike has seen heavy use in some dusty SoCal areas. It still has tons of compression and runs strong as ever. I would put one on my KTM if they made one for it.

• TimBrp

Posted March 21, 2005 - 11:26 AM

Personally I think you guys have been lucky with the K&N. Unfortunately Honda went the wrong way with the 650R's airbox desgin. I feel it should've been better thought out. Hence the reason for using a foam filter. Ever get your K&N's wet? The xr600's have a way better airbox design where you wouldn't have the susceptability to as many fine dust particles as we do. If it flows better, than it lets in more particles. Which the K&N does, which is also why it makes the most power. You need to weigh your options...more air-flow or better filtering. That's why the Honda filter has been reccomended. It's not the best flowing but no one has found dust particles in the airbox while using it. I won't go as far to say that a Uni or twin air are the "ultimate" filters as I've found dust in my airbox from time to time. However, that could be human error on my part... :)

Qadsan-I get them from the local shop. I pay the electric bill in there pretty much so maybe he cuts me some slack. I've never paid over $20 for one however, anywhere.

• qadsan

Posted March 21, 2005 - 11:38 AM

...I pay the electric bill in there pretty much so maybe he cuts me some slack...

:) :) :p

• Husky_Forever

Posted March 21, 2005 - 11:42 AM

I love K&N filters for all my bikes and quads that they are made for out west here. And for my trucks as well. For desert, baja or dry conditions you can't beat them. Been running them since early 80s on Huskys, Hondas, Kawasakis, Yamahas, Toyotas, Nissans and Chevys. As long as you follow the instructions on oiling them and use grease when mounting them to the filter box, everything is fine.

With that said, the design of the XR 650 box leads to using foam in my experience. For that bike. I learned decades ago to lay a very light coat of grease in the air box area to trap anything that might leak thru. It has worked for over 20 years and will continue to work. My 2 cents from experience and riding/racing just the western states (Wash, Ore, Ca, Az and Nevada) from sea level to 6,000+ feet. :) Steny

• drex

Posted March 21, 2005 - 11:57 AM

Tim, is the $17.99 price for the Uni foam filter 'with' the aluminum frame or is it for just the Uni foam filter without the aluminum frame? The aluminum frame versions are more expensive and if you're getting them for $17.99, that's a killer deal :)

I bought one from Rocky Mountain for $17.99 and it included the frame.

http://www.rockymoun...tv?pid=00021960 :)

• TimBrp

Posted March 21, 2005 - 12:37 PM

Thanks drex, that's where I got them last year. Couldn't remember for the life of me. Damn rough weekend....

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 21, 2005 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I had better luck with twin air over the uni on my KDX. That was 10 years ago though. Does the twin air come with a frame?

• drtlvr

Posted March 21, 2005 - 03:41 PM

are you guys oiling the k+n filters? I run k+n on both my xr and my ds650 with a prefilter and have never seen any dirt or fine dust in the intake and I ride in some pretty dusty conditions although I do ride up in front most of the time anyway i never had any problems with k+n :)

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.