YZ425F Does not start in Cold/Cool Weather

6 replies to this topic
  • wkimmell

Posted March 20, 2005 - 03:41 PM

My 2000 YZ426F does not start when it is cool outside. That is, when the temperature is lower than 60 degrees. I live in Missouri and I am not able to ride in the winter. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

• 642MX

Posted March 20, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Have you checked the valves or replaced the spark plug lately?

• MXof21

Posted March 20, 2005 - 04:22 PM

My 2003 YZ450F needs a couple of twists of the throttle when it's cold, I also turn the idle up one full turn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted March 20, 2005 - 05:28 PM

My 2003 YZ450F needs a couple of twists of the throttle when it's cold, I also turn the idle up one full turn.

Ya.. that usually works for me too. Just dont twist the throttle while kicken it over. Dont do it more that 2 or 3 times either, or you will flood the engine out.

• ChasYZF

Posted March 23, 2005 - 07:58 AM

If it's not spark plug or valves then be sure and check your ignition stator!!! I intallled an ICAT Igniton module, and that seemed to help cold starts alot.

• SureBlue

Posted March 23, 2005 - 12:30 PM

[quote name='wkimmell']My 2000 YZ426F does not start when it is cool outside. QUOTE]

Cool air contains more oxygen than warm, so your bike gets too lean mixture. You need to open up the fuel screw half a turn (counter clockwise). This should help. You perhaps also need to go for one larger main and pilot.
Turning the idle up (clockwise) one full turn is a good idea too.

• Fastest1

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:29 PM

Actually the main wouldnt change starting at all, but if it needs a larger pilot because of the cooler air, a larger main is probably wise for the most top end. But as mentioned start with the fuel screw.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.