YZ426F Does not like to start in Cold/Cool Weather

4 replies to this topic
  • wkimmell

Posted March 20, 2005 - 01:51 PM

My 2000 YZ426F does not like to start when it is cold/cool outside. Basically, it will not start when the outside temperature is below 60 degrees. Other than that the bike runs like a champ!

I live in Missouri and I am unable to ride during the winter. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bill

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 20, 2005 - 04:07 PM

You need a biger starter jet. NOT the pilot jet...The Starter jet. The starter jet only works when the choke is on. A larger starter jet makes for a richer choke circuit.

Although if it is cold enough out you may need to go richer with the pilot, main, and needle. but if you are only aroun say 40-50 deg try one size bigger on the starter. Any colder and I would try playing with the jetting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SWD6

Posted March 20, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Turn the throttle a couple of times before kicking :)

• Roosted

Posted March 20, 2005 - 06:48 PM

http://www.thumperta...ght=Starter Jet

I put a bigger starter jet in my 03 WR450 and it starts much better now. They do like fuel on start up. I usually have to give mine 4 or 5 turns of the throttle.

• WRookie

Posted March 20, 2005 - 07:11 PM

I ride year round with the stock starter jet. When it's colder I twist the throttle a few times. We have had a pretty mild winter so I guess if I had trouble keeping the bike running with the choke on I would try a bigger jet. I just have not had to.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.