handle bars advice needed

10 replies to this topic
  • chicago650r

Posted March 20, 2005 - 01:33 PM

I want to have my handlebars in a more forward position due to my long arms. Does anyone know if handlebars come that way. The handlebars on my bike are not stock I don't know what they are except they are made out of steel. :)

• Roll_it_on

Posted March 20, 2005 - 02:21 PM

About the only real way to do this is to replace the top clamp with a unit that will allow the bars to be located forward. The stock bar location is very cramped on the 650R and I ended up going with a new top clamp from Pro Taper which moves the bars up to an 1 1/2" forward and I like it much better. Here is a link to the best price on a new top clamp that will give you some flexibility.

http://www.rockymoun...tv?pid=00015104

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 20, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I want to have my handlebars in a more forward position due to my long arms. Does anyone know if handlebars come that way. The handlebars on my bike are not stock I don't know what they are except they are made out of steel. :)

Had the same problem w/ my stock 650R bars. felt like the bars were in my lap. I recently bought a pair of fat bar mount adapters and a Renthal KTM bend bar for it. Made a huge improvement. I rode it today for really the first time since the bars swap and I'm really happy w/ the setup. Get to stretch my arms, better leverage and higher / easier to ride standing. Paid $20 for the adapter/risers (used) and $45 for the bar off ebay. I'm sure a new topclamp and bars would be even better if you don't mind spending the money.

• desmo900

Posted March 27, 2005 - 12:34 AM

The clamps on the link you posted says the bars are only moved forward 10-12 mm. thats about 3/8" to 1/2" inch. Do you have a different upper clamp than the one shown on the RockyMountain site??

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 27, 2005 - 01:02 AM

Just get some KX high bend bars and roll them foward. Every company makes this bend I think

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigtom17

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:29 AM

These guys don't know. I am 6'6", trust me I need room. Go to Baja Designs.com or click here Baja Designs These will lift it up 1.5" and forward 1.5". I noticed now that these say they are for a diff bike, so call to verify for these. Maybe they have changed them.

You will have to get an applied upper Triple to mount these since Stock is a forged piece. Then get some Protapers "CR High" and roll them forward. I Can send you a picture if needed to show you what it all looks like but you will be spread out big time.

The cables will be a little taught but adjust to get around this issue.

• pb1963

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Go with an Applied top clamp, the wrap design. I'm not sure the measurements but it moves the bars out over the centerline of the forktubes. Actually, there are a lot of different brands that would achieve the same thing, BRP, Tag etc. Then throw some high bends on there and you should be good to go. I'm 6'-9'' and this was a big improvement for my riding comfort. Good luck

• Roll_it_on

Posted March 28, 2005 - 02:29 PM

The clamps on the link you posted says the bars are only moved forward 10-12 mm. thats about 3/8" to 1/2" inch. Do you have a different upper clamp than the one shown on the RockyMountain site??

I purchased the top clamp set up from Pro Taper for the 650R. It has two mounting holes and the most forward one puts the bars centered over the fork tubes. Pro Taper doesn't make them anymore for the 650R but I got mine new off ebay for 49 bucks.

• bigtom17

Posted March 31, 2005 - 10:04 AM

http://groups.msn.co...hoto&PhotoID=31

Here is what I got on Mine.

• jlpskydive

Posted March 31, 2005 - 10:34 AM

Never mind I was thinking L

• JimT

Posted March 31, 2005 - 01:46 PM

Also make sure to get a bar bend that doesn't sweep back too far, and sits high. I think most of the bars mentioned above (KX high bend, CR high bend) are low-sweep, high bends which is what you want. If you get a catalog from Rockymountainmc or Chaparral, they have bar dimension charts, or you can find them online. I have the Carmichael/Windham bend which sit high and forward.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.