100 Miles

3 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted March 20, 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hey everyone!!

I am approaching 100 miles on my new 05 450. What are some things to look for and/or maintain at this mark?

I have already changed my oil and filter after my first ride (lots of metal shavings) and I have lubed all the back bearings.

Also, what are some other mile/hour marks for maintenance?

I am still new to the 4 stroke game, so any advice would be awesome!

Thanks!

• WheelsUp

Posted March 20, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Change the oil, check the valve clearance, clean the air filter, and have fun with your bike.

One or more valves may be tight. My buddy's middle intake valve was at .07, while the other two were at .10. All three factory shims were 192, so he's replacing them all with 195's.

If you don't see the valves move again during the next 500 or so miles, don't expect them to move before 3,000 or so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted March 21, 2005 - 07:43 AM

Wheels, your bud may not have to change all the shims. Just the ones that apply. :)

• gregwr450f

Posted March 21, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Spokes make sure none are loose, rear sprocket no loose nuts, gear shift not loose.
If you had lots of metal in your oil I would change it again after about another 1/2 hour of riding, but I'm just fussy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.