05 WR450 - forks squeeking?

6 replies to this topic
  • elton

Posted March 20, 2005 - 10:01 AM

I just notice that my 05 WR450's forks are squeaking; it has 400 miles on it -- have not touched the suspension, running it as delivered.

I notice it last night when unloading the WR from my trailer. I can rock the front forks up/down and it squeaks -- Anything to do or be concerned about?

• WRookie

Posted March 20, 2005 - 10:51 AM

Did you grease the dust seal?

• clark4131

Posted March 20, 2005 - 10:51 AM

I had the same problem with mine. It turned out not to be the forks, but the brake cable rubbing on the white plastic cable guides. There's one on the left upper triple clamp and one on the left lower. I was pissed because when I found it, I had already removed a bunch of stuff in preparation for removing my forks :) ...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elton

Posted March 20, 2005 - 12:22 PM

Did you grease the dust seal?

No; at 3 months and 400 miles the dealer did the 100 mile initial service, a 300 mile oil/filter change & air-filter cleaning -- just did the air-filter last night again -- have not done any fork maintenance. Did not know any was due.

• WRookie

Posted March 20, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Pry the dust seal down and grease the inner lip all the way around. You can find it in your manual under "front fork oil seal and dust seal cleaning" in chapter 3.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 20, 2005 - 07:16 PM

I had a squeak from the front area on my 04, and it turned out to be my handlebar clamp screws where the crossbar bolts down to tbe bars. Of course, I had repalced the handlebars with taller CR bars. May not be your problem, but it was on mine and took me a little bit to find it. It would squeak everytime I pushed down on the forks or pulled up. Just an area ot consider. :)

• elton

Posted March 21, 2005 - 08:15 AM

After riding it yesterday; the squeak went away -- must have been the brake cable rubbing, but it's not now.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.