G2 Ergonomics Throttle Cam System...Anyone tried it?

40 replies to this topic
  • Jimbo45

Posted March 19, 2005 - 11:16 PM

Click here to go to the website. It is an aluminum throttle tube with three seperate cams for the throttle cable pull, that allows more control in the first 1/4 of the twist. I saw their banner on TT tonight, and after reading the benefits, I ordered one. Has anyone used it? It seems like a lot of dough to drop, but it seems like the perfect solution to my issues adjusting to the power of the 450 in technical sections. I am fairly new to dirtbikes and sometimes feel like the 450 could get away from me in the whoops and in corners. It looks like this product will lessen the sharp arm yanking when I get a case of whiskey throttle. So I hope...

• tjg53

Posted March 20, 2005 - 06:51 AM

Let us know how it works.

• Bach Rider

Posted March 20, 2005 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, I have been looking at it to, would be great to get some feedback after you try it!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 20, 2005 - 10:41 AM

I was interested, and had thought of doing something like that myself...then I eyeballed the price tag...100 bucks for a throttle tube? Pass...

• Odave

Posted March 20, 2005 - 11:00 AM

What is the website address? Sorry for asking

• jjgixxer

Posted March 20, 2005 - 12:00 PM

http://www.g2ergo.com/

• timatnorcal

Posted March 20, 2005 - 02:42 PM

Have it on my 2001 rm250 woods bike. Works great, better control, less fatigue.

• Jimbo45

Posted March 24, 2005 - 02:13 AM

I got it today. I ordered it on the 21st, and it was in my mailbox on the 23rd! Not bad! The install was pretty straight forward, but all the pics on the literature are of simple "pull" type throttle applications. Our 450's use the "push-pull" system, and it takes a minute to figure out the correct way to put the cam on the tube. Anyway, after installing it, I noticed that the return cable seemed to be getting hung up and slipping off the cam on the inside, causing my freeplay to vary from 1/4" to zero. After taking it back off and bending the cable in a bit, just as it comes out of the "barrel", it lined up better, staying on the cam, and provided a much more consistent freeplay adjustment. The problem is, the G2 cams are a bit narrower than the stock one, and if your cable/barrel aren't just perfect, the cable tends to slip off the cam, and in turn, changes the amount of freeplay with every other twist or so. I couldn't ride the bike because it was 2:00AM and I didn't think the neighbors would see the humor in a test ride. But, I did start it and rev it a bit. From just revving it, the middle cam that I installed still seemed to be pretty snappy and almost like the stock pull. I will have to give a good test ride this weekend to be sure. I may end up putting in the 3rd cam that gives you the most control, to get the results I am looking for. Oh, and I also put on a 50 tooth rear sprocket the other day, and from a quick trip around the yard, I think it will be much better for my style than the 48 tooth. But thats another story....I will post on the G2 cam throttle again when I can really test it...

• Jimbo45

Posted March 30, 2005 - 09:18 PM

Ok, for those of you that were interested, I rode at an MX track with it yesterday. Verdict: I think it was money well spent. I am a novice MX'er, so the easier throttle control around corners and whoops is awesome. Its almost like riding a CRF250 when you want to go slow through the technical areas, but on the open sections, you still have all of the horse power of the 450 when you go wide open! Its awesome! I think the overall twist is the same, it just slows the first half of throttle and the second half goes to wide open a little quicker. The only surprise to me was that the cam with the most control (blue one) wasn't as "slow" as I thought it would be. I put it in before going to the track and expected to change it out for the middle cam. But, it seemed just right for me, and I plan on using it for a while, then maybe trying out the middle cam. The tube and cam are VERY well made, and fit together perfectly. I was impressed. I would recommend this to anyone that feels like the '05 450 is a bit harsh in the slow stuff. It is a bit spendy, though. Expert or "A" class riders may not see as much benefit as a learning rider like myself would. For me it is perfect. Since these cams are a little narrower inside the housing, just make sure your throttle return cable is straight, not tweaked to one side or the other, and that it goes around the center of the cam as mentioned in the post above, and you'll be set! :naughty:

• jason_kent

Posted April 11, 2005 - 06:16 PM

I had this device on for a couple of rides and the same thing was happening......I guess I need to invest in some new cables as well......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MED

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:24 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for the report. I'd just like to add an experience I had this weekend that is consistant with a point you made about the width of the cam.

I purchased a WorksConnection Aluminum Throttle tube for my '02 and raced it for nearly 3 years. Sold it but kept the throttle tube and installed it on my '05. To make a long story short, the side surfaces of the cam have worn out against the throttle housings (both sides) enough to allow the return cable to make its way between the cam and the housing, causing the throttle to stick. During racing (for sure NOT the time to experiece this), it was sticking all the time BUT (good news) it never didn't allow me to shut off the throttle thanks to the push/pull design. So, lessons learned: inspect them for any signs of wear on the sides of the cam where it rubs/wears against the stock housings. I would be very leary of the "cams being a little narrower". Inspect how the return cable rides on the cam as you mentioned. My wore-out one showed perfect tell-tail wear signs of rolling off the cam into the crack formed between it and the housing = jammed!

Hope this helps :naughty:

• Sam Wancket

Posted May 02, 2005 - 05:12 AM

If you contact the maker of that product he will fix it for you. Because of your post he has addressed the issue and solved what you are finding. Go to www.g2ergo.com and his email and phone # are there.

• OpenAAProChamp

Posted May 02, 2005 - 07:11 AM

I have it on my dirttrack 450. It works well in the indoors. I think its whatever you get use to for the cam. I have only used the medium cam and it seems to work. My sponcer had gotten one for me and for him and we both like them on the smaller tracks.

• X-Factor

Posted May 16, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Spoke with Sam and the problem has been fixed, he even sent out the fixed cams to the posters above to correct any issues.
Sam also told me that if I wasn't satisfied I can get a complete refund.

This is going on my 450X to keep it from pulling my arms off accelerating out of corners in the tight stuff. The 450X can get you out of position in a hurry with the power it has. I am also hoping fatigue will be less on my arms.

• Jimbo45

Posted May 16, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Spoke with Sam and the problem has been fixed, he even sent out the fixed cams to the posters above to correct any issues.
Sam also told me that if I wasn't satisfied I can get a complete refund.

Yep. I got the new cams in the mail on Saturday. They also came with a self addressed envelope, I assume to return the original cams. I sent them back... I guess he wants to know that these faulty cams are not going to be used and cause someone to get hurt. The new cams are much wider and perfectly machined to fit inside my throttle housing. I now know the throttle sticking problem will be cured. I couldn't be happier! Thanks Sam. This is a great company to deal with!

• a_gunslinger

Posted December 05, 2005 - 01:36 PM

They just came out with a CAM 300 as well now :applause:

• kelstr

Posted December 05, 2005 - 01:50 PM

They just came out with a CAM 300 as well now :applause:

i have been hearing about these and they sound like a very good idea,
my friend chriss from Daystar , has them comming for his bike as well,

do they have a set up for making the throttle twist shorter as well,
my poor destroyed wrist dosent like to twist the throttle as far as you have to to get the thing opened :p
is that what the 300 is for maybe :ride:

• stroker

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:33 PM

I put one on my 2005 CRF450, I have to say it makes a very noticeable difference. Over the years, I have tried many after market products that have made little or no noticeable change in the bike, but this one is different! it is as big a change as adding a rekluse auto clutch. I have yet to try a product that makes as big a difference as the G2 throttle tube for $100.

The 400 cam turns the beast into a very manageable bike in the tough stuff, approx. 5 minutes work and you swap back to the stock cam and it gets all the instant boost back. Very nice product and well made. I swap cams based on the riding conditions I anticipate for the day.

I have not had a stuck throttle (yet!) and I sure do not want one!!!! so I will also call G2 about exchanging to the updated width cams. On the initial order, the enthusiasim of the owner convinced me to try it. He really believes in his product, and so do I (and everyone that has tried my bike!!)

• Jimbo45

Posted December 05, 2005 - 02:34 PM

i have been hearing about these and they sound like a very good idea,
my friend chriss from Daystar , has them comming for his bike as well,

do they have a set up for making the throttle twist shorter as well,
my poor destroyed wrist dosent like to twist the throttle as far as you have to to get the thing opened :ride:
is that what the 300 is for maybe :applause:

HERE is their website. I would think the 300 cam is somewhere in between the 400 and 200 cams. Kelstr, none of the cams that came with mine (100,200,400) shorten the overall pull. They all give about the same overall as stock, they just modify how much cable is pulled in the first 1/4 of the twist. For instance, with the 100 (stock or close to it) cam, when you twist 1/4 of the overall twist, 1/4 of the cable is pulled. With the 400 (least aggressive) cam, When you twist 1/4 of the overall twist, only about 1/8 or so of the cable is pulled, then the more you twist from there, the cable pull actually increases compared to stock, to give you full throttle at the same overall twist distance. Clear as mud? Basically, the less aggressive cams just make the throttle less sensitive to rider input. I tried the 400 and thought it was too slow, but might work for extremely sloppy, greasy conditions. I usually use the middle (200) cam. I like the extra control it gives me on slick, tight corners.

• kelstr

Posted December 05, 2005 - 03:41 PM

thanks for the explination on these,
my wrist is like the 400 then stock because it dose not pivit at the joint like it should and i have to overgrip and use my arm and i end up with my elbow to low and i loose control,
so i need to really shorten the throw up quite abit :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Please help , this is my first post. Carb issues? by cjr19543

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

First Ride 2015 CRF450 by Hillguitar

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  65 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 ECU in 2012? by dayusmc

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 INFO? by Phil Hannah

• Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 CRF450 Shootout by dc182

• Hot  39 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.