05, WR450 YZ needle verse WR

5 replies to this topic
  • bwsully1

Posted March 17, 2005 - 08:21 PM

Question1, has anyone tried using the YZ needle verse WR when doing the mods. If so what are your settings? Question 2, Currently using the YZ on clip 3 from top with 170mj and 48 pj, and one turn on the fuel mixture. Seems abit fat at low end. Black around the pipe tip. Not getting more than 25-30 mpg. (need 35-40) Should I change to the WR adjustable needle or move clip location ?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 18, 2005 - 01:50 AM

go back to the WR needle for better fuel economy. :)

• bwsully1

Posted March 18, 2005 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, I just bought this wr450 and made all the free mods. plus Clark tank, skid plate, front ,rear router guards, RTT steering damper, fat bars,moose roll chart, gps system, Dakar lighting kit (to make street legal)Added 48 pj along with 170 mj and fm around 1 turn out. Also added a YZ 450 instead of the JD needle, huge power but limited fuel range. Just burned (wasted) too much fuel. When I install the WR450 needle what clip location do you recommend ? Since I live in CA. my needle has only one grove, so I bought a 04 WR needle which I was told has adjustable clip locations. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bwsully1

Posted March 18, 2005 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the reply, I just bought this wr450 and made all the free mods. plus Clark tank, skid plate, front ,rear router guards, RTT steering damper, fat bars,moose roll chart, gps system, Dakar lighting kit (to make street legal)Added 48 pj along with 170 mj and fm around 1 turn out. Also added a YZ 450 instead of the JD needle, huge power but limited fuel range. Just burned (wasted) too much fuel. When I install the WR450 needle what clip location do you recommend ? Since I live in CA. my needle has only one grove, so I bought a 04 WR needle which I was told has adjustable clip locations.

• mjslim

Posted March 18, 2005 - 11:30 PM

I have had good luck in my 03 WR450 with Yamaha needle #OBDUQ (stock was #OBDUT and caused lean misfire @ 0-1/4 throttle) with clip in middle position, 48 PJ and 160 MJ. I ride mostly high desert (3000-4000 feet) in winter and got about 36 mpg on my last long ride, although I'm currently running stock exhaust w/PMB insert and all the free mods.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 19, 2005 - 03:35 AM

Start with clip #4 fromt the top on the 04 needle. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.