What's the best year WR 426 to get??

5 replies to this topic
  • 150 Fuelie

Posted March 17, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I was about to purchase a super clean 99 and the seller backed out :) I'm taking this as a sign from god to get a newer bike :) Question for you experts is what year should I look for and what should I expect to pay?

• dustdogg

Posted March 17, 2005 - 06:52 PM

If you want a WR426 you only have 2 chioces. 01 & 02, both are great bikes. Not sure about the differences if any besides graphics, mabey the rear rotor size. Just look for something clean that has been well maintained. I love mine!!!!!! :) :) :p :D

• Math

Posted March 17, 2005 - 07:07 PM

01 and 02 are great. The 02 had revised carburator settings, remapped ignition, retooled oil pump, uprated suspension, new handle bar mounts, lighter front hub, more rigid swingarm and larger diameter rear brake disc.

I've ridden both and I can say these are all minor changes. These two bikes are basically identical. I'm sure you'll be happy with anyone of them. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_from_HB

Posted March 17, 2005 - 07:18 PM

I'm partial to my '00WR400F. It's got steel valves, and nearly the same power, suspension, and handling of later bikes. It's got the 2nd generation FCR carb, and it responds well to a good setup.
Everything later has titanium valves. If you've done your homework, you know that you're playing with fire if you don't do a valve job at least every 50-60 hours on any modern thumper with ti valves. Valve jobs are about $700-1000. '00WR's don't have any major problems (other than the unique isolated issues that every mfg has now and then).

• Gadsen

Posted March 17, 2005 - 07:19 PM

Had an 01 WR426F and the only reason I sold it was because I wanted the e-start. It was a nice bike and it ripped! :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 17, 2005 - 07:36 PM

I'm partial to my '00WR400F. It's got steel valves, and nearly the same power, suspension, and handling of later bikes. It's got the 2nd generation FCR carb, and it responds well to a good setup.
Everything later has titanium valves. If you've done your homework, you know that you're playing with fire if you don't do a valve job at least every 50-60 hours on any modern thumper with ti valves. Valve jobs are about $700-1000. '00WR's don't have any major problems (other than the unique isolated issues that every mfg has now and then).

Good point about the valves but Yamaha does very well with their billet valves and 5 valve dual overhead cam head in the durability department! :)
I went to SS valves to slow my bike down :) and hopefully get another 12,000 miles out of her before retiring her to a back up and buddy bike. :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.