An amazing amount of weld flash in the 650L headpipe

5 replies to this topic
  • lrutt

Posted March 17, 2005 - 04:24 PM

I had always heard of people cleaning up the stock headpipes. Well, since it was raining all day I decided to pull the head pipe and clean it up. I measured it before, about 1.01" diameter, both sides. I started griding and cleaning. Ended up with about 1.12" diameter both sides. Just over .1" extra diameter. That's a worthwhile effort.

Just some quantitative proof of what can be gained in case your interested.

• DualSport650

Posted March 17, 2005 - 04:43 PM

I found the same thing the header of my old Honda XR600. :)

I ground out a lot of the weld, made the hole a lot bigger, and could feel the extra power after riding it.

Now I'll do the same to my XR650R... :)

• Baxter650

Posted March 17, 2005 - 05:40 PM

I went one step more and wrapped the head pipe with header wrap. It made a notable improvement but now it is backfiring again. It must be scavenging the cylinder better. I will order richer pilot jets again and see what happens.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DualSport650

Posted March 17, 2005 - 06:00 PM

Ceramic is good.

I got mine ceramic coated at the auto performance shop and it looks great and mud does stick to it and discolor it anymore... :)

• x400r

Posted March 18, 2005 - 07:07 AM

How much does the ceramic coating cost?

• DualSport650

Posted March 18, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Ceramic coating cost me $60-80. I don't remember exactly.

It's worth doing. Post a new thread to the list. Someone here knows a good ceramic coatings place that you can mail your header to...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.