650L manual decomp

11 replies to this topic
  • CheGuevara

Posted March 17, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Can manual decomp be retrofitted to the XR650L? Would it be as simple as buying the assembly from an XR600 and popping it in?

• pb1963

Posted March 17, 2005 - 04:21 PM

Why, you got e-start?

• mgs781

Posted March 17, 2005 - 04:31 PM

Let me guess, aftermarket camshaft? Try it with just e-start first, you don't need decomp!

• CheGuevara

Posted March 17, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Aftermarket cam, yes. I'm still building the motor, but I also have the 675 Wiseco kit (10.25:1 comression), so there is concern it may be difficult to start. The motor is in a TZ250 chassis, and as such I may need to use a smaller battery as well - I'm guessing anything I can do to make it easier to start will be a plus.

• Chorbelt

Posted March 17, 2005 - 07:52 PM

The motor is in a TZ250 chassis, and as such I may need to use a smaller battery as well - I'm guessing anything I can do to make it easier to start will be a plus.

that should make for a fun ride - pics?

• CheGuevara

Posted March 18, 2005 - 09:48 AM

Ask and ye shall receive:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

It's actually a bit further along than the pics show - I just havent had a chance to take any more current (these are mostly as of Dec.).

So anybody know about the manual decomp? Lots of smart people on this board and I'm betting someone has my answer. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CheGuevara

Posted March 18, 2005 - 10:06 AM

If anyone's interested: The head was ported and rebuilt (new valves, springs etc) by Jay Wright of Barebones Machine (he actually said it required very little -mostly just cleaning up the ports), 675 Wiseco kit, rebuilt crank, every bearing in the motor has been replaced (believe me, that wasn't cheap!), will be running the Hotcams Stg 1 cam, carb to be determined but I may try an HSR Mikuni (42?) and the exhaust is yet to come but will consist of 1.5" primaries into a collector with about 2" outlet followed by a reverse-cone meg -no muffler (at least initially) so I'm sure my neighbors will love me.

I'm hoping I might get close to 50HP with that. Anyone know if that's realistic or am I smoking crack here?

• CheGuevara

Posted March 21, 2005 - 11:17 AM

So 83 views so far and nobody knows if this can be done?

• Shakeyhands

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:32 PM

Did the Domi have a manual decomp? I'm thinking that it might be as simple, I would look at pre 95 DR 650's too, very similar and it has a decomp.

• mgs781

Posted March 21, 2005 - 06:01 PM

I am almost positive that the XR600R head is the same as the L. The only difference between the two bikes is the stroke I think, besides e-start. Might be worth trying to get a used head off of e-bay and test fitting. The Ls head has all cast features of the decomp, they just didn't mahcine it.

• mountainrider

Posted March 22, 2005 - 04:10 AM

Can manual decomp be retrofitted to the XR650L? Would it be as simple as buying the assembly from an XR600 and popping it in?

You do not need it.I built my engine it cranks better now then it did when it was stock.If anything the decomp makes one harder to start.Without it when the engine comes up on the compression stroke it will fire right up.I have a Wiseco 10.25 piston,Hotcams stage one cam,Mikuni flat slide and we did a three angle valve job.I am happy with the bike and have had no problems with it starting.

• CheGuevara

Posted March 22, 2005 - 11:30 AM

Thanks all for the info.

-Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.