Acerbis Gas Tank

6 replies to this topic
  • SteveWR450F

Posted March 17, 2005 - 10:26 AM

I have a 04 WR450F. Have been reading threads about Acerbis, IMS and Clarke tanks. Leaning towards Acerbis. Really want the tank to carry the gas as low as possible but also be safe.

So . . .

Is Acerbis a good tank? (I was lleaning towards the ZipTy IMS tank but have read some complaints about how low the fuel lines are and how the petcock works.)

Do I have to change radiator shrouds. Heard something that I have to use YZ shrouds instead. I also have Radiator guards from Flat Land racing. Will that create a mounting problem? (They have rear support like the unabiker guards)

Any suggestions about the cheapest place to to bike the tank and shrouds?

Thanks for your time

Steve

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 17, 2005 - 11:05 AM

Acerbis is a great tank but it carrys its fuel higher than any other aftermarket tank. The good thing about it is you can use all of the fuel from the dual petcock design without having to slosh the bike around or wheelie for the last few miles like the other tanks and you can actually use the choke where others restrict pulling the choke out! :) This tank will truely drain dry! :)
I managed to use the WR shrouds with a little flexing and using a longer bolt on the center shroud tank bolt. :p

• RNS

Posted March 17, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Does it work with the unibiker rad guards?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • markyjoe

Posted March 17, 2005 - 01:09 PM

Does it work with the unibiker rad guards?

The left side fit fine but on the right side I had to pound out the bottom part of the brace with a ball peen hammer. At least that was the case on my '05 WR450. It didn't take that much work and it fit fine after the modification.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 17, 2005 - 01:50 PM

Yes it will work with the unabiker rad guards (the best) with a slight bend to fit the bottom of the right side of the tank. :)

• clark4131

Posted March 17, 2005 - 07:45 PM

Yes it will work with the unabiker rad guards (the best) with a slight bend to fit the bottom of the right side of the tank. :)

...or you can enlarge the mounting hole on the rear piece of the guard to account for the tank's interference :) ...SC

• Sylvain

Posted March 18, 2005 - 07:13 AM

I have an Acerbis tank on my wr 426. I replaced the existing thin fuel line with a thicker one and added a 3 inch spring beside the fuel petcock of the right side to deflect the heat reflector from the exhaust header :) .

This tank gives me a lot of range and when riding on a mx track I fill the lower part only to keep the center of gravity lower.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.