'99 WR vs '99 YZ - Radiator differences

15 replies to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 24, 2000 - 11:09 AM

Anybody know what the differences are between the left side radiator on a '99 WR (PN 5BF-1240A-00-00) vs a '99 YZ (PN 5BE-1240A-00-00? I can't see any obvious differences on the microfiche. HLSM website shows a $80 difference between the two - of course, the WR is the more expensive one.

Brian

• Heywood

Posted October 24, 2000 - 11:23 AM

I believe the WR had a bigger radiator than the YZ in '99. In 2000, the YZ got the upgrade to the bigger radiator.

Can anyone verify this?

• Clark_Mason

Posted October 24, 2000 - 06:08 PM

I do not think there are any differences. the last eight numerics of the two part numbers are the same. The prefix part numbers of 5BF and 5BE are I bleieve model designations ie WR vs YZ but the part is identical--this is my belief? Anyone know for sure????

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 10-24-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 25, 2000 - 08:58 AM

The '98-'99 WR rads have an extra core. The YZ426 rads had the same as the WR
but are a different fitting to the earlier models.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 25, 2000 - 03:43 PM

My '99 WR radiators are two pass cores ~ 1.25 inches thick face-face. Looks like each tube is ~ .75 inch thk

Can someone with a '99 YZ check their radiators to see if they match my WR?

Thanks,
brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Meadows (edited 10-25-2000).]

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted October 26, 2000 - 09:56 PM

Brian,
Are those dimensions pre-Moab or post-Moab? :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 26, 2000 - 10:10 AM

Brain can you make this weekend stonyford ?
monty

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 26, 2000 - 10:25 AM

Not going to be able to make it to Stonyford this weekend - we're moving in to our new house. That and I haven't fixed the bikes since Moab.

Mike - those dimensions are from the undamaged, right side radiator. I'd have to use a CMM to measure the curvature of the left side rad :) Is Howard's bike a '99?

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Meadows (edited 10-26-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 26, 2000 - 01:09 PM

Ok, Ok, My brand new radiator on the non cap side (because I broke the old one) is 10 cooling rows wide they are on 1cm centers with an overal width of 11.5cm outside to outside. I didn't bother with the height figured they were the same. I seem to think I paid $211.00 for it from Yamie ha ha that was back in February. I have my old one, be happy to sell it to you cheap. It only leaks when you put fluid in it :D Does yours leak or is it just all bent up in the shape of a pretzel? If it doesn't leak put your shroud back on with some zip ties and LETS RIDE!!! You wouldn't let a little thing like a bent radiator stop you from catching some mud via Dunlop air mail oops... I meant throwing some mud... :D :)

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 26, 2000 - 01:21 PM

Howard,
My radiator is 11 tubes wide x 2 tubes deep & is ~ 12.5cm wide......

Can't remember - is your bike a '98 or '99?

I'll throw mud at you at Thanksgiving :)

Brian

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted October 26, 2000 - 01:30 PM

Brian,
If you can wait a little I think the 02'WR radiators come with airbags........ :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 26, 2000 - 01:33 PM

Brian, I've got an old slow 99 with a fresh mud tire, I guess the extra row of cooling is worth the $80 bucks :D Your hope'in there will be mud to catch, oops... I meant to throw...Thanksgiving :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 26, 2000 - 02:47 PM

Turkey,Cranberrys,stuffing,and some choclate Mud pie for desert :)

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 26, 2000 - 02:58 PM

Mike, I heard the '02 KTMs are coming with training wheels for the inseam challenged. I guess the advantage of having short legs is that no one can accuse you of dabbing :)

I was kinda hoping that the '02 WR would have a crash bar around the radiators like the Honda Goldwings.

Brian

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted October 27, 2000 - 06:12 AM

Brian,
I'll have to check that KTM out. Actually the bike I've been eyeing is a new model made by Fisher-Price...... :D . Standing flat-footed shouldn't be a problem. The only problem I can see is the all-plastic construction........ :) .

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 27, 2000 - 06:19 AM

the 98 and 99 wr radiators are bigger than
98 and 99 yz´s 2000 the radiators are the same size but they do not fit on the older ones because the spoilers ,the colour and the inside black/white plasticguards are different .Tschüss from Germany

WR 99,black excel rims ,applied triple clamps ,öhlins shock,renthal bar and sprocket ,öhlins fork springs ,ims gas tank ,yz seat ,pirelli tyres ,acerbis plastic ,crd skid plate ,works connection frame protectors ,open air filter with stock needle ,MJ 172 AJ 48 spes motocross exhaust( loud );stock timing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.