idle rough and popping

4 replies to this topic
  • actonkarate

Posted March 16, 2005 - 01:27 PM

Well, I let my bike sit for a couple of months (we had a baby) and when I took it out last it was hard to start, had to restart after warm with the choke, and it was making a popping sound...

any ideas? :) I drained the old gas and put in a new plug

thanks,
Frank

• LJ

Posted March 16, 2005 - 01:53 PM

clogged pilot jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • actonkarate

Posted March 16, 2005 - 10:35 PM

thanks! I'll give that a shot!

Frank :)

• RobRantzow

Posted March 19, 2005 - 09:40 AM

I had same problem from sitting for 6 months. Clean carb and replace all jets or you will be sorry. Don,t just try to clean jets as they are cheep enough to replace. The problem is moisture from the gas turning the jets green.

• GrahamO

Posted March 19, 2005 - 09:21 PM

clogged pilot jet.

Precisely. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Rough and popping and then died completely. Knew exactly what it was immediately: clogged pilot.

However, in a different situation it took me nearly a hour to figure out that my float valve had gotten stuck up. I pulled the fuel line off and gas came out, so I assumed the bowl was getting gas... but no dice. It's happened once since as well.

If you see green on your jets it's probably a good idea to replace them.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.