My gearbox just $hit the bed

9 replies to this topic
  • doctorchopper

Posted March 16, 2005 - 12:36 PM

My 01 wr426 just lost fifth gear. I've got it set up for the road with supermoto tyres and I guess she just couldn't hold up to all that strain the road puts on it. I was cruising allong then clunkk!! :) All she would do is rev. Now 1 st through third gear seem fine, there is a blank spot where 4th was and fifth is now 4th gear. Has this ever happened to anyone. How hard is it to rebuild the gearbox, I know you have to split the cases, anyone have any suggestions?????

• doctorchopper

Posted March 16, 2005 - 12:40 PM

At least tommorrow I'm off to Italy to ride the mountains near the Tuscany border. Found a guy that does tour guides there and he hires out bikes, very reasonable priced too. Company called www.umbriatrailtours.com He supplies the bike, accomadations, food, gas and insurance for 245 euro's about 300USD. and he's the trail guide too. can't wait.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 16, 2005 - 12:44 PM

This is a very common problem. I too had 5th gear go, during the Nevada 1000. Sucks to ride fast stuff in 4th gear.. If I were you I wouldn't ride it anymore util you tear it down, I'm sure you have chunks of the 5th gear at the bottom of the case. For some reason, Yamaha has had problems with the 5th gear. Sorry to hear the bad news.

• Jeremiah

Posted March 16, 2005 - 12:44 PM

At least tommorrow I'm off to Italy to ride the mountains near the Tuscany border. Found a guy that does tour guides there and he hires out bikes, very reasonable priced too. Company called www.umbriatrailtours.com He supplies the bike, accomadations, food, gas and insurance for 245 euro's about 300USD. and he's the trail guide too. can't wait.

Huh? How does this relate? Am I missing something? How about some help for the brotha?

• mayday

Posted March 16, 2005 - 02:53 PM

I too had 5th go out! similar to your case. If you rebuild your tranny make sure you get the c-clips facing the right way. It has a angled side and a flat side make sure the flat side is facing toward the gear. I must have got in a hurry when I put mine back together because I took it out for a ride and blew the tranny. when I tore it apart one of c-clip let loose just a word of advice!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cmott426

Posted March 16, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Huh? How does this relate? Am I missing something? How about some help for the brotha?

He replyed to his own post. He is trying to look at the bright side of things for the moment.

Have fun on your trip.

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted March 16, 2005 - 04:51 PM

sorry to hear that hopefully it is cheap to fix,if you have the tools to take split the cases the transmissin is fairly simple if you have a service manual tear it all the way down to the point where you are ready to split the casees if you do not have the tool run down to the shop and see if they can do it for you then putting in new gears and seals and bearings are quick I would agree with the other reply do not ride it anymore :) good luck

• Gadsen

Posted March 16, 2005 - 06:50 PM

Well,considering this was the orignal posters own response, I dont think it will matter? :)

• Gadsen

Posted March 16, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Doctor chopper, a fella in here popped his WR450 engine, poked a rod through the crankcase and ventilated the motor pretty good. I bet he has a good tranny. Hey, never know :) :) Maybe work something out with him

• rammy185

Posted March 16, 2005 - 11:40 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the special tool that is needed to split the crankcase - is it a worthwhile investment for the home mechanic, or can you split the case using a fabricated tool

Many thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.