Leaking coolant, but not from weep.

3 replies to this topic
  • Johnny34

Posted March 16, 2005 - 09:54 AM

I've done a few searches about this and found a lot of references to coolant leaking from the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump housing. I'm seeing coolant pooling and dripping from where the Y-pipe tube from the radiators connects to the top of the water pump housing. There is just one bolt that holds this y-pipe in place and an o-ring between the y-pipe and the housing.

I was going to drain the fluid and replace the o-ring unless any of you have other suggestions. Should I use some RTV high temp sealant as well? Should I pull off the water pump housing and replace that seal too?

FYI: This is an '05 WR450F with all the free mods and 75 miles on the odometer.

• wakin

Posted March 16, 2005 - 10:12 AM

I had the same leak a few months ago. Indy helped me out, it's part #13

http://216.37.204.20...pe=13&A=197&B=2

Sorry the link didn't go right there. Look up your bike, go to "Water Pump" - should be the O-ring (#13)

If I've confused you PM me

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 16, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Yes and you may want to put a new o-ring and some silicone sealant around that pipe fiting above the o-ring. :) Glad that the fix helped you out as well Wakin. :)

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted March 16, 2005 - 04:20 PM

I had the same problem quick fix no biggie local napa or dealer will have the o-ring and you probably all ready have a tube of silicon around don't you :) it is an annoying leak but a simple one nice job in tracking it down just think how much they would have laughed at the dealer :D knowing what was wrong and charging you a minimum shop fee of course. :) no big deal glad to hear that is all it was. :p

CAREFULL....8mm bolt and very easy to strip,

snug then 1/4 turn has always been good with me and then during your preride and your checking over everything just ad that in to your check list.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.