Oil: synthetic or mineral?

2 replies to this topic
  • David_Reksten

Posted October 24, 2000 - 04:08 AM

Last time I changed the oil I used a fully synthetic Castrol motorcycle oil. Now the clutch sometimes slips when I'm hard on the throttle and the clutch is partially enganged.

A person I talked to said that he wished he had a nickel for each time he had to tell people that these bikes should be kept on mineral oil alone. He is something of an old-time cross legend here in Norway (currently races a YZ426) but his advice goes against pretty much everything I thought was true about mineral vs. synthetic oil.

Does his advice make sense, or has he just banged his skull into a rock one time too many?

What do you people use?

David Reksten, Oslo, Norway
2000 Yamaha WR400F
1998 Aprilia RS250

[This message has been edited by David Reksten (edited 10-24-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Andy_Baker

Posted October 28, 2000 - 06:35 AM

Hi , if it helps , I am using Putoline SYNTEC4+ and have done so since new. I have done nearly 2000km now , both on & off road and have no problem at all with clutch slip or anything else.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 28, 2000 - 06:42 AM

Hey David..... This subject has been discussed many times here, use the search feature and find them... also the archives.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.